• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains -does it have sling swivels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger today and ordered a Lyman Great Plains .54 Flintlock, and now I'm assembling my shopping list for what I'll need to buy. I'm starting from scratch with black powder/flintlock, but I read a lot and this forum is a wealth of information! You all know your stuff!!

One thing I can't figure out has to do with mounting a sling. I'm not sure if the Great Plains comes from factory with sling hardware or not. I do not plan on using any of it doesn't come with it already attached. On this case I'll look into the type that mount without hardware. But if it's there already, might as well use it.

Those of you with a recent GP flintlock--what say you??

I've never seen one come from the factory with sling studs.

Have used this on my Lyman Trade Rifle, along with a screw in sling swivel. Not sure if it would be hefty enough for a heavier Great Plains. Note also the the tightening Hex screw is soft and strips easily !! Uncle Mike's 13912 QD Quick Detach Super Swivels for 1" Slings....There is also a Sling that goes over the Butt and just slides over the Barrel, I believe Track of the Wolf sells them.

Yes, TTW has an "over the butt" style (currently out of stock).

Which screw is the "soft/easy to strip? And what are guys replacing it with? I've read this before but don't know which screw it is??

To the best of my knowledge, the plains rifles carried by the Mountain Men into the Rockies did not have slings. Likewise, the Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifles did not have slings.

The Mountain Men did most of their traveling on horseback and carried their rifles across their lap or pommel so adding a sling would serve no purpose.

The Military guns came with slings because they were carried by the foot soldier.

At one time, Thompson Center and several private companies offered slings for the TC Hawken.
These required replacing the rear ramrod thimble with a special one that the sling swivel could be attached to. The lower swivel was screwed on the bottom of the stock butt.

These won't work on a Lyman GPR.

I've also seen leather slings that have a loop that fits over the barrel and other end is tied onto the stock butt.

Blasphemy!

Short answer is no, have no studs, rings, or swivels. They're not set up for slings.

Speaking of Blasphemy....

I don't have a horse nor a pommel for my gun, and we do a lot of walking up and down mountains searching for Mule Deer. Here is my New Englander, the base was soldered to the ramrod tube.

IMG_2366_zpsxjfjiv5m.jpg

IMG_2371_zpsms1toiz2.jpg

Kind of a poor mans QD. Don't know who made the swivel, but I got a big bag of them when a gunsmith store went out of business many years ago.

don't know if it's the exact same but, old Mossberg .22s had sling swivels that looked like those.

Thanks guys! I hear ya Paul. I'm not going to modify this replica rifle. Thus my inquiry. But I don't hunt with a horse either, and I like to hunt from a deer stand up in the trees, so a sling is a practical and safer option for me.

Thanks to everyone who replied!!

October Country, Dixie Gun Works, and The Leatherman all have various types of slings that slip on or tie on to the rifle, no alterations necessary.

I use a slip-on sling from TOW with my GPR. I usually carry the GPR in my hands until my hands are needed for something else. That slip-on sling rolled up in my pocket comes in real handy and works well.

Only down side with one slipping over the barrel is the sights. The canvas loop on the sling blocks the line of sight. I've contemplated replacing it with a thinner leather loop, but the project keeps slipping down my to-do list.

I've made tie on slings in the field with period correct paracord. :thumbsup:

Black Jack said:
BrownBear said:
I've contemplated replacing it with a thinner leather loop, but the project keeps slipping down my to-do list.
I put the forward loop around the ramrod. Plenty secure for me.

The gaps between my ramrods and under ribs are all very small because I go with as big a ramrod as I can fit. None but the thinnest would fit. Long as I'm going thin, I'll keep it over the barrel. But thanks for the thought.

It's not really a replica of anything. Half-stock flintlock plains rifles didn't really exist. Your rifle is not historically accurate but it would be more so in a percussion lock. Still a cool gun and I love my caplock version!

Longrifles and most half stock rifles don't look right with a sling - taste is an individual thing, however. The only two guns I have with slings are an 1841 Mississippi rifle and a .62 smoothbore.

I'm of the opinion that just because no half stock plains rifles survive it doesn't mean they didn't exist. There was plenty of Inspiration around for half stock flintlooks, the 1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle being the best example. Using the sling mounting hardware for traditional muzzleloaderS from Track or other suppliers a traditional rifle with sling, as I see it, a GPR flinter could be given a sling. Someone reenacting a former army rifleman gone to the mountains could have a half stock flinter with sling, couldn't he?

The 1803 Harper's Ferry didn't have sling swivels. Portraits and sketches of trappers on the plains don't show slings. While they certainly could have, there is no evidence that they did use slings.

Back