• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The set trigger on my GPR does not allow the hammer to come down completly on the nipple. When I fully cock it and pull the trigger it makes contact. Any ideas?

Does it fire the cap if you use a single trigger only?

1. Maybe the set trigger screw is adjusted to light/heavy, try moving it a few turns either direction and see if that helps...

2. The set triggers could be improperly installed, causing the sear to engage when fired.

3. Take the lock off the gun and look in the trigger area, set and release the trigger while watching what happens.

4. Also check the backside of the lock, maybe something is binding up, you can work the action of the lock by hand... (watch your fingers)

5. Is the screw that holds the hammer in place tight?

I did everything you said musket, I think it,s the bridle piece that is letting the fly move left to right too much and it's getting in the way. Another problem is I just broke the tip of the sear while playing around with it. Anyway I bent the sear alittle to but more pressure on the fly. but now I have to wait for a new sear to see if that was the problem.

The best place to order parts for a Lyman lock is from the Lyman website.
From your description I don't fully understand what your hammer is doing. But seeing as I have tuned those locks and triggers I have can give a pretty good guess as to your problem.
The lightness of your set trigger pull will have nothing to do with it. The Lyman set trigger is a double bar trigger, meaning it can be fired set or unset. When set, it releases a spring loaded "striker" that "snaps" agains the sear. It has no real power behind it. Except for the back spring in the trigger which on a lyman is strong.
You can get this rifle to fire by pulling the trigger in its unset mode. This works because you have leverage and pull until it releases the sear.
This indicates to me, that your wood has swelled in the lock mortice area and is putting pressure on the sear.
Smear some lipstick on the sear and bridal and put the lock back in the gun, tightening down the lock screw as normal. Take it back out. You will probably see lipstick on the wood from where both the sear and bridal screws are touching. Get a small sharp chisel and carefully remove this wood until it no longer touches.
When you get your lock back to normal try it again and it should work.
Leave the fly alone. It's purpose is to allow the sear to override the halfcock notch when you actually fire the gun.
If you have dissasembled the lock you may have galled up the sear screw, this will cause friction. If so either polish it back smooth or replace it.
After all is working well again, seal all endgrains with sealer or tru oil. Better yet, redo the entire stock.
At the least, remove butt plate and toe, trigger guard and plate, breech and lock from the stock. Now put a couple of good coats of regular Johnsons Wax on everything. You especially want the exposed endgrains in the mortices to be covered.

Darkhorse, I will check everything you say but it's the fly that is getting in the way of the tumbler (I think thats what they call it). It was very loose from side to side and would get caught out of position when you pull the trigger. Stopping the tumbler/hammer half way to the nipple. Dixion's told me to bend the bridel to hold the fly in it's place. The bridel is the plate with three screws in it that holds the fly in place. I'm waiting for a new sear then I will know for sure.

The fly is supposed to freely work from side to side. If I remember right the fly is made from brass or bronze.
If it is working in or out as would be the case with a bent bridal plate, then it could be sliding out of the way and not doing its function.
Is this a new problem that has suddenly devleoped or has it done it all along?
How did the bridal plate get bent in the first place?
It makes sense that the fly is the culprit. When using the set trigger, the striker bar hits the sear and bounces back, it doesn't hold the sear away from the tumbler. When the tumbler rotates the sear engages the bevel on the fly which pushes it away from the half cock notch.
When using the trigger in the unset mode your finger is actually holding the sear away from the tumbler while the hammer falls, here the fly will not come into play.
I would still check for contact in the lock mortice. The Lymans often need to be inletted a little deeper in the sear area and if the wood swells then they bind the sear. Fixing it now will prefix a problem that may develop later.

don't know if this will help. i had a problem with the fly hanging due too over-lubrication. now,i leave the fly and its cavity almost, if not completely, dry. the problem no longer exists.

take care, daniel

Okay, new sear, tight the screws on the plate that holds the fly and I'm shooting again! .530 RB .015 patch, 90grns. pyrodex and I'm grouping in the 10 and 9 rings after alittle filing on the front sight! I'm talking tight I have't shot more than sixty rounds thru the gun and when this snow stops I'm going HUNTIN!

Back