• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLOSED Lyman 57 GPR sight wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So to treat myself for the 2 months of total knee replacement misery, I wanted to get a milestone gift for myself. So I was thinking a Pedersoli Lyman GPR in 54 cal. The big deal to me is the receiver sight since my eyes are getting old. Anyway that is a good excuse to but another flinter. So I can't seem to find any sights in stock. So if anyone has a source for a reasonable price please let me know. I appreciate it.

So to treat myself for the 2 months of total knee replacement misery, I wanted to get a milestone gift for myself. So I was thinking a Pedersoli Lyman GPR in 54 cal. The big deal to me is the receiver sight since my eyes are getting old. Anyway that is a good excuse to but another flinter. So I can't seem to find any sights in stock. So if anyone has a source for a reasonable price please let me know. I appreciate it.
Please clarify more specifically what kind you are wanting besides just sights? Others can help if they know more specifics.

I was going to order a new Lyman GPR in 54 caliber from Graf. They said it is drilled and tapped for Lyman 57 GPR receiver sights. So that is the desire, Lyman 57 GPR receiver sights. I guess if someone had an upgrade or recommendation for front sights that would also be helpful.
There are a couple annual matches around here for 50 yard offhand targets. I figure with sharper sights I could give that a go.

XS Sights makes a barrel mounted peep sight with a white line front blade that works great for old eyes. Mounted about 6" to 8" forward of the nipple (that's where the Lyman GPR barrels are already tap for them) they offer better clarity of both sights plus the target of any open sight I have used. I have installed these sight on multiple ML's for others and you can not get them to remove them unless they are selling the rifle. I know it seems to go against conventional wisdom to not mount the peep on the receiver, but try it with the larger diameter peep that it comes with and you will be amazed how quickly they align & focus. The white line blade stands out like a neon sign in low light.

I was going to order a new Lyman GPR in 54 caliber from Graf. They said it is drilled and tapped for Lyman 57 GPR receiver sights. So that is the desire, Lyman 57 GPR receiver sights. I guess if someone had an upgrade or recommendation for front sights that would also be helpful.
There are a couple annual matches around here for 50 yard offhand targets. I figure with sharper sights I could give that a go.
If you want to compete in annual matches I advise you to call the people who are running them. Specifically ask them if peep sights are OK to use.
I mention this because before I had cataract surgery I had to use peep sights to see the front sight or target. I went to a muzzleloading shooting match with my rifle and was told, after driving 30 miles, "We only allow open sights in these matches."

Now, if you just want some peep sights for informal shooting or hunting, your on the right trail. They can do wonders for people with failing vision.

Hopefully, one of our members will have some sights that will work for you at a good price. :thumb:

Very good comments. I am 99% sure that both clubs allow rifles that are legal for our deer season. So peeps are OK for 15 seasons maybe? I know a third club is pretty traditional, more of reenactment that hunting. So I doubt they would allow peeps. So yes that is very valid point.

I also have a marbles bullseye on my Lancaster rifle. The bullseye is very nice and clearer to me than the notch sight. But, I think a peep right by my eye would be better. It also gives me an excuse to try one of those pedersoli's. I had a Mortimer, and I regret selling that rifle. I was hoping the new GPR would have some of the same DNA.
Importantly gives me motivation to work hard on getting the new knee working. I am doing well, but progress is very slow.

I looked on ebay and typed in a bunch of searches, plenty of 57's, but I could not see the 57 GPR. Since the rifle is factory drilled and tapped for that model, I did not want to mess with a version for other specific firearms.

I looked on ebay and typed in a bunch of searches, plenty of 57's, but I could not see the 57 GPR. Since the rifle is factory drilled and tapped for that model, I did not want to mess with a version for other specific firearms.
There is a Lyman 57sml on ebay right now, it will work. You just need to shim it. All the 57gpr is is a 57sml with the shim adapter.

Not a peep, but my eyes also demanded something easier to see, and I went with the Lyman fiber optics (gasp!). Totally not PC, but I use this GPR for deer hunting and for that an ethical shot is more important to me.

Lyman calls them 57SML, not 57GPR. They often bid up quite high.

Yep. The sight itself will say 57sml on it. when catalogs list it as 57gpr it means it comes with the adapter plate to level it up and also with a longer tang screw.

I am also looking for the 57GPR. Lyman says they will be in production in June.

Did anyone try calling Greg Dixon at Dixon's muzzleloading in Kempton, he usually has a great selection of about anything you want.

Did anyone try calling Greg Dixon at Dixon's muzzleloading in Kempton, he usually has a great selection of about anything you want.
Yup. They are out. Lyman says June they will be in production.

One just went on eBay for $112 used. Was that one of y'all?

I went to 110. Would have gone higher but got sniped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back