• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman .54 Deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I been trying to get this rifle to shoot prb, it has a 1:48 barrel. I gone through different powders goex,pyrodex ff and fff .015" .018" .020" patches, .530" and .535" hornady and speer balls.At 25yards it shoots great,go out to 60 yards I be lucky if I could hit a cow. The load the likes at 25 yards is 80-85 grs. of ff or fff.I notice the patches are torn and burnt. It doesn't matter what patch thickness I use. Wound a fiber wad help out? If so what could a guy use for a wad for the time being? The shoots the Hornady Great Plains great, I would to hunt with a prb. Thaks Hippie

Try putting a dry patch down on the powder before loading the patched ball. Some call it "double patching". It will help take some of the heat off the patch that is on the ball. Dan.

Can you measure the length of pull on that rifle for me? Been thinking about buying one, but nobody around here has one that I can pick up and shoulder.

Thanks, I knew I forgot something in my post. I tried a piece of old blue jeans, there isn't much left of it. Thanks Hippie

The lenght of pull is 14 1/4" from center of the recoil pad to trigger, hope that helps.
Hippie

Thanks for measuring it. I knew the Great Plains was 14 1/4" and somebody told me the Trade rifle was that same length, but could not confirm the DeerStalker. Lyman must make all their stocks that same length.

If this is a new rifle you'll have sharp riflings, which will cut your patches. The barrel will break in after 100 or so shots. The riflings will smooth out and stop cutting your patches. To speed things up, take a .54 brass bore brush and wrap some OOOO steel wool around it. Apply some oil and scrub the heck out of the bore.

Chris, I measured the LOP on my GPR and it was 14" to the front trigger. My Trade Rifle is also 14". That is pretty much standard.

Thanks guys, the rifle is 12 years old. I played with it alot when I first got it found out it shot the bullets better stay with them for hunting. Between prb and bullets I must have at lest 300 rounds through it. For lube I used prelubed patches,moose milk, split, T/C bore butter and crisco. Now that I have some time on my hands I would like to get this thing to shot prb. And for sights I have the Lyman #57 and #17A Thanks for help keep them coming!

My Lyman .54 also has the 1:48 twist and shoots best with 85 grains of Goex 2f, a .015 patch lubed with beeswax and olive oil and a .530 RB. It didn't settle in until I popped a few dozen caps and polished the bore but it's a great shooter. It does reasonable well with the Great Plains bullets but best with PRB. It doesn't group well when using 3f. Pick up some JB's bore polish/compound to smooth out any rough edges. Hope that helps.

I used valve grinding compound on my .54 usimg a .50 brush wrapped with a piece of t-shirt. I put my range rod in my drill and went in and out several, several times. Then washed the barrel with hot water to cut the compound. It will drive tacks now with a .535 ball, .15 patch with TOTW mink tallow, amd 65 gr. of powder

Between prb and bullets I must have at lest 300 rounds through it.

Ah-Ha! Now I've got to wonder if the barrel has a bit leading. Were most of those shots with conicals? Did you maybe try pretty hot charges with them now and then? Maybe a good scrubbing with a lead cleaning solution would benefit patch and ball groups.

I'm with you folks on the leading. My wife has a Deerstalker 54, and it may well be one of the most accurate guns we own. But accuracy went south fast one time when we tried some older TC Maxis that were low on lube. It's favorite patch/ball combo is a .530 ball and .018 patch, which loads easy enough for my wife's comfort, yet drills ragged holes at most distances without regard for powder charge. It's real forgiving.

I'm a little concerned about the account of torn patches though, especially since he's tried several thicknesses. Could be there's a bur in the crown, because it's surely been shot enough to smooth the bore. If it continues tearing patches after getting the lead out, I'd suspect the crown even more. Easy fix with a tab of 320 grit wet/dry laid flat over the muzzle, then pressed lightly into the crown with the ball of a thumb and twisted a few times.

Afternoon Guys, great minds must work alike! I went down cellar to play with the barrel before I looked on the computer this morning.Got thinking about what one member said about using steelwool.I found a jar of JB,put some a patch wrap around a brush and did about 30 or 40 passes.Started shooting at 25yards,started at 70grs. ended at 85grs. and 80 looked the best. Put a target out at 60 yards got a 3" group,you might not think thats good but its a far cry from what I was getting the day before! I think you guys are on to something about lead built up or burrs in the bore. The patches look like I could use them over again. I still use a piece of blue jeans (.031) between the powder and patch and ball. Had to quit for the day started snowing to hard. I donn't know why I didn't think about bore condition before :confused: I've fire lapped my center fired revolvers with good results.I'll try again in a couple days and let you know, Thanks again keep it comming! Thanks Hippie

Mine likes 90grs of Pyrodex RS, .530 ball and a .018 patch lubed with moose milk. At 100 yds it shoots 1-1/2" or less groups. Funny thing is, at 125yds they open up to about 6".

I got a chance to go out for awhile this morning, very windy. (if it's not snow it's wind) Did more scrubbing on the barrel over the weekend, looks like I had Bad Hygiene. :( Trying to shoot between the gust of wind. Was getting 1.5-2.0" groups at 60 yards using 95grs. of Geox ff. It my not be greatest to some of you guys but, it's putting a smile on my face. Looks like the more I increase the load the tighter the groups where getting. Going to do more R&R on a calmer day, it looks promising! Thanks for all the help :bow: Hippie

Back