• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 1858 Remington Navy - deal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been offered an 1858 Remington .36 Navy repro made by Lyman. The gun appears to be in excellent condition & the seller wants $250. How does the quality of the Lyman measure up to other 1858 repros?

Early Lyman Remingtons were made by Uberti. If the one you are considering is a Uberti it should have a Uberti logo (Octagon with a 'U' inside) on the barrel or frame.

If I recall correctly the majority of other Lyman revolvers were made by Euroarms.

Many years ago I had a Uberti made Lyman Remington .36 that was very well made and shot very well. Even the flat on the loading lever had an assembly number on it.

Not sure if Lyman specified a higher quality from Euroarms than Euroarm's standard production guns. Lyman/Euroarms seem nicely made.

Robert an saa fan said:
If I recall correctly the majority of other Lyman revolvers were made by Euroarms.

:nono: Well, I made a mistake, or possibly just an omission of another maker of modern Lyman branded cap and ball revolvers.

Just checked a 1975 production Lyman 1851 Navy .36 and it is made by Armi San Paolo. It has Armi San Paolo's mark "D G G" in a circle on the underside of the barrel.

Due to the error our consulting fee will be reduced from five cents to two cents.
:surrender: :rotf:

. aug 24 / 06:30AM

in my book, DGG was armi san paolo which became Euroarms Italia s.r.l. in december 2001.. still has the same definition - grassi, doninelli, gazzola.

(which should match a date code of BP)

~d~

If your Remington was made by Armi San Paolo it is problably a replica of the Remington Beals Model rather than the Remington New Model Army which were the models made by Uberti for Lyman. If the threads are hidden in front of the cylinder it is a Beals. On the original Beals this was a straight cut covering the threads entirely whereas on the replics there is a slight arc in front of the cylinder. Also, the Remington Beals has a smaller frame than the Remington New Model Army. This can readily be felt if you hold both as the same time.

The older Remington Beals model is on the right in this picture.
REMINGTON.jpg

This design preceded the Remington New Model Army and the close position of the frame to the cylinder was one of the things that caused problems and was redesigned.

The problem was that the front of the cylinder would develop the normal fouling and cause the gun to jam.

The fix was to back the frame away from the front of the cylinder and allow the threads of the barrel to scrape off the fouling as the cylinder turned.

how early? also if it is not a uberti then just buy a new one from cabales.you can get it cheaper if you want a shooter.

i have a early navy arms 58 army it is a remnington repo. made by a.s.m. also have an early navy it too is a.s.m.

Back