• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube Over Balls in a Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brik847

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just thinking ahead. . . I don't have a revolver yet, but if I get one, what happens in the hot weather with the lube you put over the balls in the loaded cylinder? Doesn't it just melt and run? What kind of lube holds together for this purpose in hot weather?

When I started with cap & ball 30 years ago I used lube over the balls. Here in South Carolina it's a nice way to lubricate the inside of your holster. I made the switch to wonder wads and never looked back. FWIW.

Yes. In hot weather the over-ball grease thing can be a bit of a mess. Many will say that, as long as you shave a ring of lead off the ball when loading, the grease is not necessary to prevent crossfire between chambers, and there is much merit to that position. The main reason for using grease then becomes 'lubrication', the intent of which is to keep the fouling (combustion products) soft and prevent jamming the gun action. This can be accomplished with lubed felt wads between the ball and the powder. These wads are available commercially, although many just make their own to save a few cents. They are effective and a viable alternative to grease.

I'm getting ready to go out shooting my BP revolver right now! Trouble is that I can't make-up my mind which one of the five that I own to bring to the range. :hmm:

Grease has never been used in any of them! I only use wonder-wads, which are pre-lubed. :wink:

Dave

I use deer tallow. it will stay in 90% weather. You can take groundhog oil and put enought beeswax to make it stay. I used it for 20 some years. Tallow don't need any. So use it ,easier, as don't need the wax. Dilly

I use a stiff mixture of synthetic toilet ring and boot grease as a lube for my revolver slugs. and to smear atop round balls when I use them which is rarely since I began using slugs.

I shoot mostly flint now but before wads became popular, I used white lithium grease in my Colt Navy. Never melted in a Virginia summer which I expect is a bit warmer (certainly more humid) than yours. I applied the grease using a paste wormer tube (think large plastic syringe with about a 1/4" open tube rather than a needle). Your local (large animal) vet will likely give you some empties as they are use once & throw items. The 1851 Colt was always a mess after a range session but cleaned easily & still looks new at 30+ years. As others suggest, today lubed wads are an option - try both & make your own choice!

Since the pre-lubed wonder wads became available, it's the only thing I use. Easy, clean, and I've never had a chain fire using them. :thumbsup:

Wonder wads are expensive. I use a mixture of beeswax and Murphy's Oil. It does not melt in hot weather. You can buy the beeswax at any craft store. Murphy's Oil at Wal-Mart.

For the first time, I used crisco over the ball last time out with my Walker. I think it made a signifigant difference in cleaning, Was a lot easier and I did not have to do any adjustments during shooting due to the gun binding up.

i was wondering what was used over the powder originally in the "old days".
sure it wasn't crisco!

never have seen a reference to what they used but I'm guessing a mixture of beeswax and animal (likely beef) fat rendered out. after all tallow candles were commonplace.

I would guess they didn't use anything. If they were in combat, a chainfire would be the least of their problems.

I started in the summer with Crisco over the mouths. Very soft and runny, especially so once the cylinder starts to heat up from shooting. Maybe something like a stiff beeswax mixture would be better. Also used Crisco in the base of my minnies which pretty quickly led to hang fires. Sometimes all you read in the books ain't always as good as it sounds.

Colt's loading instructions (1854-5) make no mention of grease or wads and he advises that, "It will be safe to use all the Powder the chambers will hold, leaving room for the Ball, whether the Powder is strong or weak."

I use the UK version of Crisco over the balls in cold weather simply because it keeps the fouling soft and makes cleaning quick and easy. In the summer I use the same Emmert's lube that I use on the Miniés in my Enfield 2-band (50% beeswax, 40 % Crisco; 10% Olive or Canola oil).

"i was wondering what was used over the powder originally in the "old days".
sure it wasn't crisco! "
---------------
Crisco isn't used over the powder now a days either.
It is used "over ball" and, yes, even though it is messy it does help to keep the fouling softer and makes clean up a little easier. :)

smokin .50 said:
I'm getting ready to go out shooting my BP revolver right now! Trouble is that I can't make-up my mind which one of the five that I own to bring to the range. :hmm:

Dave

Dave, You REALLY know how to hit below the belt! :bow:

slt1691 said:
smokin .50 said:

Dave

Dave, You REALLY know how to hit below the belt! :bow:

Sorry :surrender: , I was just so excited that I couldn't help myself! :blah: Ended up taking the Walker and shot it quite well :) Felt good to get some smoke in my lungs after all of this crazy cold & wet Jersey weather!

Dave

Back