• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lov'in my GM .40 drop in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhoffman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well the saga is just starting...
to recap, I acquireda TC hawken 50 kit that was missing all the screws, rib, rear sight and hammer, got all original parts from TC, built it, finished the stock, all came out most excellent for a first build. didnt really need it as I have 2 other 50s and will let go of the cva mt rifle, douglas barreled, when they pry it from my dead hands.
ordered a GM .40 x 32 drop in, it went in with NO mods.
took it out tonight with about 45 minutes of light left...
tried 35 gr 3F black and .012 patches, .395 ball...
1 1/4 group, stepped up to 40gr, 1 inch group, tried 40 gr and .018 wallyworld blue ticking at 1 1/4, all at 40 yds prone off a chunk o fire wood rest.
I think with better light, it/I will do better. I stretched out to 60yd and was 1 inch high.
more trigger time will tell!
dont think I will ever shoot the 50 barrel!

...just wanted the world to know!

Brett

brett sr said:
Well the saga is just starting...
to recap, I acquireda TC hawken 50 kit that was missing all the screws, rib, rear sight and hammer, got all original parts from TC, built it, finished the stock, all came out most excellent for a first build. didnt really need it as I have 2 other 50s and will let go of the cva mt rifle, douglas barreled, when they pry it from my dead hands.
ordered a GM .40 x 32 drop in, it went in with NO mods.
took it out tonight with about 45 minutes of light left...
tried 35 gr 3F black and .012 patches, .395 ball...
1 1/4 group, stepped up to 40gr, 1 inch group, tried 40 gr and .018 wallyworld blue ticking at 1 1/4, all at 40 yds prone off a chunk o fire wood rest.
I think with better light, it/I will do better. I stretched out to 60yd and was 1 inch high.
more trigger time will tell!
dont think I will ever shoot the 50 barrel!

...just wanted the world to know!

Brett
:thumbsup:

snowshoe,
where are you at with it today?? in so far as loads, powder and patch combo's?

Brett

...a .40 convert! :winking:

I have shot up to 75yd with 55gr. 3f 389cast and 395 hornady swaged balls. and .018 pillow ticking patches lubed with wonderlube. I have also used tripple 7 with good results. My grouping has been realy good with everything I have tried. the .395s are a bit tight but I get them down OK I shot some gophers last summer with 30Gr 777 and .389 balls.
Shoe

Scott,
formally at forest hills by the flying M ranch, 3rd sat of the month,(come on out!) other than that, I got a 150 yd line in the pasture with a great backstop marked off in 25 yd increments, shoot any time I like!

Brett

Was wondering if there is a big weight difference in the drop in barrel and the stock Thompson? Thinking about getting one but am concerned about excess weight.

Lead Slinger said:
Was wondering if there is a big weight difference in the drop in barrel and the stock Thompson? Thinking about getting one but am concerned about excess weight.
I have TC .45cal RB barrels...the GM .40 would have a little more weight due to the smaller bore, plus it's one inch longer than the TC.

I have a .40 Flint barrel coming and figure it won't weigh all that much more than a TC .45...but weight concern was definitely why I ordered the .32" and not the 38".

Its heavier thats for sure! You're adding 4 more inches of 15/16 steel and have reduced the bore from 50 down to 40.
To me, its comfortable and I have never been one to hold a sight picture on a target for extended periods of time.
The looks are terrific, made a totally differentgun out of it.
It is nose heavy BUT not a struggle to keep it up by any means, virtually no muzzle jump and recoil my gramma good live with!
extended sighting plane is a plus also, it works on your brain to were you actuallycan hold steady easire on target.
I'm liking it!
oh ya, it is definetly heavier than my cva mt rifle, again we are comparing a 50 bore to a 40.

Brett

I have a TC Hawkin 50 ca and the bore is realy bad how much do those 40 ca gm barrels cost and how long do you have to wait for them ?

BPJ,
I got this one from TOTW, cost was just under 200 with shipping. I emailed the order and had it in 1 week. (ordered sunday had itthe following tuesday) They are really good on the communication end of it. If you move forward with this,dont doas I did and not order rod ends, jags, ect so you cant shot it.
as a small caveat, out of the box,onto the stock, at 50yds, no sight adjustment, my barrel shot 3 groups at 1 1/4 or less, all at about 4 o'clock 1/2 to the right ! but then I tend to pull right!

Brett

Back