• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lost in elk country

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you spend enough time in the woods, sooner or later you will find yourself lost!! The closest I have ever came to spending the night in the woods was in Co. elk huntintg (by myself)in Oct. with a clouded over sky, moderate snow, new to me territory. Started from the road, walked to the top of the mountian, went round and round chasing elk prints in the snow until 3:30 and realised I really didn't know where the truck was :

I'll bet there are a number of elk hunters that can relate. I know I can. My brother-in-law and his friend got saddled with baby-sitting me when I first started elk hunting. We were up by Monarch Pass, got into dark timber and the elk. All that hoof-thundering and branch breaking startled the s$%^ out of me. We decided to walk in a line three abreast with about 30 yards between us. I was concentrating so hard on not letting the elk scare me again, that I must have not taken the route I was supposed to. The next thing I knew I was on the other side of the mountain. Lucky thing was that I broke out into a clear side of the hill, and could see the road down below. Not knowing where I was, I knew that a road meant safety, and headed for it. I knew that camp was uphill, so I started trudging up the road. We started that hunt at daybreak, and my dad and uncle finally found me at three in the after noon. I wasn't afraid, because if you find a road, you can get back, but I started thinking I might have to spend the night there.

Been there myself somewhat. I was hunting Caribou up around Ungava Bay Canada. Drop camp, and a lot of water. Basically you get up in the morning a look at your surroundings and go from there, but this day was supper foggy, and after a few hours of tramping around in the sponge lichens, well we got turned around. A compas is worthless up there, to much iron ore in the ground, and we did not have GPS at the time. Long story short, I did not get lost but I shure sweated for awhile till I got my bearings again.
Aim small, miss small...

I was hunting elk in the Bitterroots, way back in and had a lost hunter come wandering into camp late one night. He spent the rest of the night with us and was on his way the next morning.

A friend and myself found a hunter lost in unit 12 in Colorado. He wasn't a happy camper as it was close to dark. :wink: Took him back to our camp and got him on a fire road to get to where he wanted to go. I know another hunter that started a fire in the middle of the woods to get found.(same unit) :shocked2: (Not me). Been worried a few times but am still around. Larry Wv

Latest posts

Back