• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to identify musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macohead

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking to identify this musket - this is the only marking I could find on the rifle.... Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Thanks for the replies - I'm still having no luck identifying this gun ... these are the full shots:

Attachments

• musket1.jpg
    musket1.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • musket2.jpg
    musket2.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
Well the above observation's are as much as you can ask , we do need photos .But since your from Newfoundland the gun might be for sealing as similar guns where ' Got up ' and the dog catch isn't unknown for such guns the cold lent itself to using flint guns as handling caps in those harsh conditions meant no gloves but you could handle a flint gun without taking off your mitts . I once fired a percussion rifle in 46 below , I was so determined to shoot that day . I manage 8 shots at which point I couldn't even grasp the gun effectively or handle the caps . In the' Ohio Village' in Columbus once & perhaps has yet a gun on a beam of the Gunshop (Once Mike Lea worked there ) it had at India company post 1818 'Bakers series ' lock yet had the dog catch added . Thats pure' SWAG' principal but just might be the reason. Welcome to the forum.
Rudyard from NZ

Well the above observation's are as much as you can ask , we do need photos .But since your from Newfoundland the gun might be for sealing as similar guns where ' Got up ' and the dog catch isn't unknown for such guns the cold lent itself to using flint guns as handling caps in those harsh conditions meant no gloves but you could handle a flint gun without taking off your mitts . I once fired a percussion rifle in 46 below , I was so determined to shoot that day . I manage 8 shots at which point I couldn't even grasp the gun effectively or handle the caps . In the' Ohio Village' in Columbus once & perhaps has yet a gun on a beam of the Gunshop (Once Mike Lea worked there ) it had at India company post 1818 'Bakers series ' lock yet had the dog catch added . Thats pure' SWAG' principal but just might be the reason. Welcome to the forum.
Rudyard from NZ
PS Ime a fan of Stan Rogers. he was a Newfy .
Regards Rudyard

It is English, probably 1700 to 1720. It's stocked in ash, which isn't uncommon for these utility muskets. I don't believe the brass bands are original, but I'd leave them alone. In fact don't screw with it at all, no "clean up" or anything like that, just leave it alone. It's worth $3000 to $5000 as it sits.

The use of the rear side nail does suggest original use in that stocking , & It seems not to have a buttplate dose point to early in date .Brass bands ? & too good for a sealers gun ? .Could be .The Wm 111 guns used bands at least the dragoon carbines did (I made one from Blackmores classic ' British Military Firearms ' page 55). Ime easy if it is early all the better for the OP and it makes his gun an important piece (. Ide jump over a dozen Hawkens & hog rifles rifle's to get to that gun ) .
Regards Rudyard

All of the guns of that style I have seen have pinned barrels, not bands. The bands look very unprofessional, homemade and much newer that the rest of the gun. The brands are very similar to some British brands but could have been branded at any time by anybody. I can't quite make them out.

Latest posts

Back