• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for information about P.Bondini company and rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dellos

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,
Im looking for information about P.Bondini Company. I Can't find anything about them. I know that they Were closed in erly 80's think, and they made some nice guns.

I just bought my P.Bondini Foster Rifle replica from 1979. Sometimes, this gun is named I thing Edwin Wesson Replica.

Could You give me some infos about gun, and the P.Bondini Company ??

Some photos will be addet to topic soon :)

I bought this pistol new in 1981; it's a Bondini Hawken. It's a very well made gun, excellent fit and finish. Unfortunately I know nothing else about the company.
524.jpg

R0010525.jpg

R0010526.jpg

The Bondini pistol was probably one of the best reproductions ever made.
I little too fancy perhaps?
But fit & finish is outstanding, quality of parts great.
You are very fortunate to find such a piece.
That is a keeper, as well as a great shooter.
The Lyman "Hawken" pistol is good, but does not even rank with the Bondini.
Parts availability is tough, but who cares.
Treat the pistol well, and it will out live you.
Old Ford

I don't know much about Bondini as a company but every firearm I have seen from them has always been excellent quality.

I have the same pistol Mykeal has except in .54. A friend of mine picked it up at a charity auction in the early eighties for $65. He didn't have a .54 but knew I had just gotten a Santa Fe and offered it to me for what he paid for it. At that time that was about half price so I got it.

I'm not much of a pistolero but that pistol covers up a lot of screw ups on my part. I use it a lot whenever I'm in pistol competition. It keeps me in the middle of the pack rather than at the back.

I have the same pistol in .50 bought about 1980-81. One of the nicest factory replicas ever made, IMHO. Interestingly, I also have a Lyman Plains Pistol and the barrels are nearly identical...same breech plug, tang, etc. Only the different underlugs keep them from interchanging. In fact, I may order an extra Lyman barrel in .54 to fit to the Bondini as that's the caliber I hunt with.

I bought my .45 replica here some photos:

http://photos02.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/602/43/50/602435023
http://photos02.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/602/43/50/602435023_1
http://photos02.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/602/43/50/602435023_2
http://photos02.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/602/43/50/602435023_3
http://photos02.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/602/43/50/602435023_4
http://photos02.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/602/43/50/602435023_5
http://photos02.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/602/43/50/602435023_6

I got a Bondini a year or so ago in the Kentucky style with 2 wedges holding the barrel. As has been said the quality is absolutely first class. Mine is .45 and beautiful. You rifle does have a lot of the look of a Wesson rifle the receiver is shaped the same. All the Wessons I have seen had full octagon barrels and the receivers were steel. Your looks like a fine rifle enjoy it. Let us know how she shoots.
Fox :thumbsup:

My Barrel is like the oryginal Foster rifle had. Well i was reading about Wesson, and this gun isin't Wesson replica. All Palmetto and UBERTI's aren't Wesson replicas too.

The real is Foster Replika and Wesson was build later on. The Foster is from I think 1836. This are the photo of Foster:

fosterrifle.jpg

As You see, the foster wgot barrel like mine. There were sometime Wesson's wyth this kind of barrel but it was very rare. I think mine is 1,16m long barrel like foster. It has fast target barrel (info from seller) and was used very rare.

info about Foster:

FOSTER. George P. (b. 1810 - d. 1874)
Attleboro. Taunton, and Leicester, Massachusetts; Bristol and Providence, Rhode Island; Mohawk, New York. George Pratt Foster was born in Attleboro, Massachusetts, on April 12, 18 10. the son of George and Eunice Foster. He began working as a gunsmith in Attleboro during the I830's. In January of 1840, he moved his business to Taunton, Massachusetts.5 The first city directory for Taunton, issued in 1850, lists him as a gunsmith with a shop on Market Street.6
Foster's work in Taunton is best represented by his iron-forestocked percussion rifles, of varying calibers and barrel lengths, which are marked "G.P. Foster - Taunton, Mass." In his' Taunton shop, Foster and his workmen also produced the Klein "bolt action" needle rifles and the Porter turret rifles. Although he had established a reputation for his gunsmithing skill (he received an award from the Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania in 1850 for the quality of his rifles), his business failed in Taunton.
In 1853 Foster entered into partnership with Ambrose E. Burnside and William Bishop in Bristol, Rhode Island, to form the company that would later evolve into the Bristol firearms Company. In a matter of months, Foster withdrew from the partnership, but he remained as the plant manager. Perhaps one reason for his abrupt withdrawal was that his creditors had brought a successful suit against him and his former Taunton associates. On January 5. 1854. all personal and real estate of George P. Foster. James W. Grossman, Stephen Rhodes, and Marcus M. Rhodes, insolvent debtors, was declared forfeited.7 Obviously, the court order could have had serious consequences for the infant Bristol firm.
Foster seems to have been the key "operations person" in the Bristol enterprise. The iron-forestocked percussion rifles, which are identical to Foster's Taunton rifles and are marked "G.P. Foster. Bristol. R.I.", were apparently made at Bristol Firearms and, in the author's opinion, were part of that firm's regular production run.
Foster moved to Providence in 1859 when Charles Jackson removed Bristol Firearms' manufacturing facilities to that city. In the 1860 city directory, he is listed as a foreman for Bristol Firearms, and in 1861 he is listed as a company inspector.8 While in the employ of Bristol firearms, he modified the Burnside carbine's locking system and its conical cartridge. He was granted patents on both improvements.

In the I860 city directory. Foster's only son. George F. Foster, is also listed as an employee of Bristol Firearms.9 (There is extant one .50 caliber percussion rifle in the style of George P. Foster which bears the barrel signature "G.F. Foster.") Both men later worked for the Burnside Rifle Company when that company assumed the work of the Bristol concern. In 1865 they moved to Mohawk, New York, where they worked as self-employed machinists doing sub-contract work for other gunmakers such as Remington Arms in nearby Ilion. On September 19, 1865, they were granted a cartridge extractor patent (No. 49,994). and on July 17, 1866, they received another patent for a breechloading rifle (No. 56.399).10 They later assigned both of these patents to Remington.

After leaving Mohawk. George P. Foster lived briefly in Providence before moving to Leicester, Massachu¬setts, where he died on August 7, 1874.
See also "Bristol Firearms Co.", "Burnside Rifle Co."

I hope it was helpfull ??

As You see, the foster wgot barrel like mine. There were sometime Wesson's wyth this kind of barrel but it was very rare. I think mine is 1,16m long barrel like foster. It has fast target barrel (info from seller) and was used very rare.

That is an interesting rifle. I recall the Bondini guns and don't know why they stopped importing them. The quality was always high and they seem to have done a lot of research into the history of the guns as the historical accuracy was first rate. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

No problem, do you know somebody who has adverts from bodini in some newspapers from 70's and 80's? And what ammo I should Use for my replica ?? It's .45 cal, do You think that Mine will be ok ? or not ?? should I put them in paper ?

Thanks for posting the photos, good looking rifle. This is the only one I have seen with a brass frame. I have always liked the "Wesson style" rifle but I believe they didn't sell well here possibly because they represent a firearm from slightly after the fur trade era and our primary interests are Hawkens, long rifles, and American Civil War guns.

Its great to hear from a blackpowder shooter from Poland. I really enjoyed the time I spent in your country. My wife is from Warsaw, we were married there while Poland was still behind the Iron Curtain. She is a regular competitor in the North-South Skirmish Assocation and is just putting the finishing touches on a flint long rifle.

I have a Bondini German Style target rifle. I was told that a lot of them were imported and they did not sell very well so they were dumped on the market at a low cost a number of years ago. It is a better shooter then I am.

chuckpa,
after seeing yours, i ended up owning 4 of them,2 target type with aperture sights and 2 with
regular blade type ,all 4 are 45 cal and they shoot a very good group. the two target types have the impression for ones nose in front of the cheek piece. at present i am looking for a lock for target type so i could finish making another one from parts i have found on web. any leads would help.
shoot straight and often.

f.mcgrath

ChuckPa...you are refering to German style? Is it possible you mean Austrian style? I remember Paul Bondini made a nice model in Austrian style named Sanftl. Later also Pedersoli had their version on this.
Do you have a pic on the German style if different to Sanftl? If I recall correct you had to be a little careful about your nose when shooting the Sanftl. Could give you a little kick every shot.
Regards,
ARILAR:grin:

I really would not know if it was a German or Austrian style target rifle. I never had any trouble with the recoil and the stock does have a cut out in it to place your nose in. I will try to get a picture for you. The hammer is reversed from the normal rifle, that is it falls towards you.

Arilar
Here are the pictures that you requested now you have me curious about what type of rifle this is.

IMG_0627-2.jpg

IMG_0628-2.jpg

IMG_0629-2.jpg

That looks like a Sanftl target rifle to me. I believe they were well thought of by target shooters who could afford them.

Yes Chuckpa, that is truly the Sanftl made by Bondini. As I understand it has nothing to do with german style rifles (like Pedersolis Bristlen Morges and Waadtländer), instead typical "Tyroler" Austrian style. I have an original made by a Anton Vent. Well..the Sanftl may have been popular among target shooters but in my opinion taken over by the german-styled Bristlen. I had the prototyp of the Bristlen in my hands summer of 1984, came on market in 1985.
Regards,
ARILAR :grin:

Back