• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a throwing knife and tomahawk for rendezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Bently

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a throwing knife and tomahawk for my first rendezvous.

My first question is how many knives and hawks do I need to compete? Would one each be acceptable?

I was thinking of starting with a Cold Steel Sure Balance Knife and one of the Colt Steel throwing hawks?

Any information would be appreciate -- I am a total newb in this area, but I love to compete at just about anything. Thanks.

Do wat NWTF suggests.
Don't bring that Cold Steel stuff to ronny, it could be dangerous to yer hide.
One of each is fine. But, if you decide to practice a lot at home, several of each is good and will reduce the walking back and forth for each throw.

Thanks -- I have heard about H&B. They have a good reputation.

What would be wrong with bringing a CS product to a rendezvous?

Cold steel doesn't make anything that is HC/PC correct...at least that I have seen....You'll just get snickered at and disqualified.

I never threw a knife after I saw a guy almost loose his hand throwing one...but I threw a lot of tomahawk when I was younger....just used a cheap rendezvous special like the ones crazy crow sells...

No need to buy anything too expensive starting out....after all you are throwing it....and eventually someone will hit it and cut your handle.....so get some extra handle cause they like to break on miss throws too.

The Frontier doesn't look too bad, but at issue is the size of the eyelet for the handle.
Your going to break handles.
I'm not sure of the CS eyelet size, if they're a little different then the standard large handle available from many traders at vous, you might get stuck with having to buy from just CS.
You simply can not go wrong with this hawk from Track; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/473/3/TOMAHAWK-NR
get at least two extra handles. handles do need some rasp work to fit a hawk head, and don't go cutting the handle too short above the head,, the wood compresses.

A good bet is to check the back pages of this section,, there are ton's of "hawk" topics covering this same thing.
What Hawk should I get.

Don't get stuck on weight,, it doesn't matter,, 9-12-16oz heads all throw the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to go with the H&B products also. I have the Shawnee hawk. It has seen a lot of throwing for about forty years now. It has held up great. I have their throwing knife also.

I did buy several of the Cold Steel throwing knives. They are good products, but too light for my liking. I hardly throw those anymore because they are so light weight. The are fun, but not even close to my favorites.

"...Due to the fact that all of our hawks and knives are made individually and by hand, and only Jarrod is making them..."

"...Allow 10-12 Weeks for Delivery . . . It's worth the wait!"

Whew! I should have ordered long ago...

I also recommend H&B Forge. Hard to go wrong with hand made in the USA.

I just bought their Shawnee Boy's Hawk, and it arrived in a little over 4 weeks--and that included the Memorial Day weekend.

When they sent me an email letting me know the tomahawk was in-bound, the nice lady at H&B actually apologized for the "long" wait. I was overjoyed, since I was content to wait the 10 weeks.

v/r
Matt

Hard to go wrong with hand made in the USA.

True!.....
But cheap and foreign made would be historically correct...
Tomahawks were a trade item and as such were akin to buying something from Walmart......not Saks Fifth Avenue...

Chiefs, treaty, and ceremonial pieces excluded of course....

I would also suggest H & B, if you can wait. I have had one for almost 30 years and got my Dads which is older. They are well made and last. I have had to replace a few handles over the years but these were due to operator error (the blade not the handle should hit the target).

If you can find a older Cold Steel they will work. The older ones are forged and are made to throw. The new ones are very thin and not made for throwing very much. I have a old one made about 20 years ago my brother has one that was made about 8 years ago. I have a HB forge Franciscan that Jarrod made smaller so I could throw and be legal in competition. I would by one of the Shawnee hawks. They make great stuff and there is a reason that the wait is so long. To be honest I was starting to get a little upset with the amount of time that my order was taking. With in a couple more days I got my hawk. When I picked it up out of the box I knew the reason I had waited. They are some of the nicest people I have talked with on the phone. If you want a picture of the new Cold Steel next to a old one let me know.

Been throwing the same Jas Townsend knife and hawk for over 15 years without any problems. Heck, they even won a few medals.

I cut my teeth with a crazy crow hawk and knife made by genuine "Indians". :haha: you might look into beaverbill.com I have one of his throwing knives and its made for hard use! nothing wrong with H&B either. I bought an older KRJ hawk last year that's a good thrower too, their not making them anymore though but you may come across one on a blanket?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Beaver Bill" Keeler made this one for me...

MyHawk.jpg

This is a cheap one from Crazy Crow (my file work)...

CheapHawk.jpg

Yes, Bill's cost more, looks better and has better steel, but they both throw exactly the same. Neither will break or wear out in my lifetime. If all someone wants is a good "throwing hawk", you don't need to spend very much.

Yes, Bill's cost more, looks better and has better steel, but they both throw exactly the same. Neither will break or wear out in my lifetime. If all someone wants is a good "throwing hawk", you don't need to spend very much.

Word!....
Actually for the price of a premium hand made USA hawk.......If I was a new guy starting out I would buy 3 or 4 cheap hawks for the same money and cut down the number of trips walking back and forth to the block...This will maximize your throwing time and make you a better thrower.

colorado clyde said:
buy 3 or 4 cheap hawks for the same money and cut down the number of trips walking back and forth to the block...This will maximize your throwing time and make you a better thrower.
Not Really.
Throwing multiple hawks at a block is a game locally called "Handles". And the bane of every parent!
The idea is to try to break the other kids handle, usually quit successful as every handle gets wacked up pretty good as well as hawk heads being chipped and gouged when they hit another hawk head instead of the handle.

A typical Hawk toss comp target is a playing card.
1 point for a stick in the block
2 points for sticking and hitting the card
3 points for cutting a corner off the card
If your throwing multiple hawks at a small target your going to hit the first hawk.(period)
The games generally are not about just getting the hawk to stick in the block "someplace".

That's another topic though,,
Hawk Toss Games.

Latest posts

Back