• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

long rifle junk or ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitade

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a long rifle at a flea mkt.The rifle is marked ("dixie gun works, union city tenn).After close examination I see "made in Japan".Did I buy a piece of junk or what?

Your description really doesn't give us much of a clue. The Dixie Gun Works Southern Mtn Rifle was made in Japan, and was a heck of a good gun, although very heavy. I know that many folks cut 10 inches to a foot off the muzzle end to lighten them up. They came in many calibers , LH RH and flint annd perc.

Dixie has had so many guns made over the years, some very good and some not so good.

Without a picture, it would be hard to tell.

Depends on the rifle. Dixie marketed the Tennessee rifle in .32 and .50 that was made by Moroko of Japan. These were fine rifles that are still seen around shoots and do very well.

We will need photos to know for sure. You can find how to post photos at Main Index » Forum Index » The Forum » Using the Forum » Posting Photos

The DGW Tennessee rifles made in Japan had a good reputation all around. Moroku made high end guns and I would think that extended to the DGW Tennessee rifles.

I would think she must have some appeal to you or you would not have her now. :)
If she shoots well you will be happy.
This would seem rare to see many of these anymore.
I think the people that have them usually keep them?!

I'll agree with all that has been said and to add I had one early on and now I wished I'd kept her. Good little shooter after a little smithing to the flint hammer. Of course you still can buy, I believe, L&R replacement locks that work a lot better than some of the original locks. Not to mention they are easily converted from percussion to flint and back again.

FGV

I am the proud owner of a DGW Tenn. Mtn. Rifle I bought when they first came out -- .50 flinter. Fast lock and has not failed me in making meat through the years.
P.S. (my political statement for hte day then I'll shut ma yap)
Don't let the "Made in Japan" stamp fool ya. They are kicking our you know whats with their cars wink:

I got one handed to me by Turner Kirkland hisself.
My 1st flinter.
Great rifle.

A guy has a want ad for one posted right now.

Back