• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Range Match Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of weeks ago I spent a great weekend of long range shooting with muzzle loading target rifle at Bisley. Competitions with the Muzzle Loaders Asscociation of Great Britain and the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB - shooting at 900 & 1000 yards Saturday and 1100 & 1200 yards Sunday. Other then a ferocious thunder storm that curtailed the 1000 yard match for some of us, weather was dry and clear. Changeable wind kept us working hard just to keep on target, let alone gain a good score! I was delighted to win the Hepsworth Medal for top score at 1200 yards.

Have a read of this article on my web site for a starting reference: Long Range Shooting: An Historical Perspective.

Then look under 'Marksmanship' and long range muzzle loading.

David

fleener said:
MM

I am not talking about RB rifles, my comments are for rifles shooting conicals, or LRML (long range muzzle loader)

I am assuming that the OP is talking about the latest craze of inlines that are setup for shooting out to 500 yards. These rifles in the hands of a good shooter are very capable of shooting a group that I would kill for in one of my traditional English Sporting rifles. The traditional LRML rifle will quite simply not be able to shoot as good of a group. A 14x scope makes a huge difference.

I have 5 traditional LRML and one that is not traditional with the 14X leupold tactical scope. The scoped rifle will shoot a 1/2" group at 200 yards. The traditional rifles will shoot a 1 3/4" group at 200 yards.

I shoot with the best LRML shooters in the United States. Several of us have tricked out inlines shooting the same bullets, same powder that we shoot in our traditional rifles. I can tell you without a doubt I and my buddies can shoot much better groups with the inlines than we can shoot with a traditional rifle. The difference is the scope.

Fleener

Unfortunately, someone is going to take your post and say, 'Fleener said inlines are much more accurate than traditional muzzle loaders.'

They will miss the parts where you mention it is all due to the sights, iron vs scope.

charlie

Luck?... :idunno: Skill?.... :idunno: I don't know, I wasn't there and I don't know the guy who made the shot. Could he do it twice or was it a just one time shot? Who knows? All we have is someone's account of the feat and even then, we all know how stories gain with the telling. A killing shot was made at a considerable distance would be the seed of the story and the retelling of it would be the watering that could make it grow. I have no doubt that it could have happened just as it was reported but......did it? And could it have happened more than once? Was the distance really what was reported? :idunno: Here is a video of an experienced shooter trying to make a similar shot at 1500 yards with a Whitworth rifle.. He did it but he didn't do it on the first shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fGolpACPWU&t=53s
In any event, it is a nice story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bill,
Yes, I've seen that video.
Not sure if the Civil War soldier got "lucky" or if he regularly performed such feats but, we do know it can be done with similar equipment. (see David Minshall's post above)
I doubt the soldier did it with a PRB. He was likely shooting a Minni'e since they were were regularly issued and much more accurate.
Having "tried" long range rifle shooting for a while when I was MUCH younger, I know how much dedication, having the best equipment, and tons of practice it takes to make a shot like that with a modern rifle ....which makes doing it with a ML an amazing feat (at lest to me). My hat is off to the long range riflemen who do it regularly.

Back