• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock/Rifle Idenification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type lock this is? The nipple and hammer are on the right side of the rifle instead of on top. It sports an exterior spring. I dont have any more pics now, but have some coming, I'm also tying to indentify the rifle. Thanks RamblinMan
MVC-467F.jpg

Generically, they are called " Mule Ear locks", Because there is usually a swept up hammer spur that resembles a " mule ear ", as you look down the barrel.

That wouldn't be a mule ear, would it? I remember a discussion about them a while back with links to a website that had plans to make your own. I could be wrong. Billy

mule ear second fastest lock to a underhammer. see how the base of the nipple is pointed right at the powder charge. no truns to make no channels to build up with fouling.

Greetings...

It's a "side-slapper". If it could talk, and some do, it would say "Slaps me! I likes it!" Just don't let a twig get in the way of the hammer if you are in brush. Thanks for the picture.

"When you see the smoke on the wind, look for me."

I'm in the process of building a mule ear chunk gun. Today, a friend and myself chopped out a walnut stock and cut the barrel channel for a .50 cal. 1-1/4" Hoyt barrel. I'm going to make the lock myself. I've made lock parts before, but this will be my first complete lock.

Latest posts

Back