• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Indetification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this lock?
20201125_092715.jpg
20201125_092802.jpg

Pat, can you show some pictures of the whole gun? That may provide some additional clues.

Danny Caywood has been making Northwest Guns with his proprietary locks for quite a while, but it does not look quite like one of his, to me. I'll need to take another look at mine and compare it to your photo. I have a late NSW Northwest gun, also, built by Matt Dennison. Matt was able to customize the markings on his locks to some extent, and I'll compare that one, too.

I think the locks used by North Star West, when it was in Mr. Gostomski's hands, may have evolved over time, and I am not familiar with all of the variations. I believe he started out just using un modified LOTT locks. I know Green River Forge also used Pedersoli LOTT locks, but re-worked and re-marked them. That may be on the table for consideration. One other possibility is that Doc Carlson's Upper Missouri Trading Post used to market a parts set or kit for a Northwest gun lock. I don't know how these were, marked, though.

Again, photos of the entire gun, both sides, may provide additional clues.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

As an aside I read on another thread about a possible stamp on the lock. This is what could possibly be a stamp. Although it looks like the ones posted who knows if it's an actual stamp or a defect in the mold.
20201125_124536.jpg

That is the Curley Gostomski mark that is cast-in the plate just in front of and a little below the screw head on the main spring. Curley developed the master pattern for these locks. Yours is one of the clearer and more distinct marks I've seen pictured. Below is a scan from The Book of Buckskinning III showing the same lock on a North Star West NW trade gun.

Gostomski-NW-trade-gun-lock-low-res.jpg

I think the locks used by North Star West, when it was in Mr. Gostomski's hands, may have evolved over time, and I am not familiar with all of the variations. I believe he started out just using un modified LOTT locks. I know Green River Forge also used Pedersoli LOTT locks, but re-worked and re-marked them. That may be on the table for consideration. One other possibility is that Doc Carlson's Upper Missouri Trading Post used to market a parts set or kit for a Northwest gun lock. I don't know how these were, marked, though.

Notchy Bob is partially right. Gostomski did start out using the Italian LOTT locks, but he soon made his own master pattern and molds for his propriety trade gun lock like the subject of this thread.

The Upper Missouri Trading Co. trade gun lock was copied from a W. Chance & Son lock and is so marked on the tail of the lock.
78_03-04 ML W Chance n Sons lock kit ad.jpg

I have one of his guns in 12 gauge, witch I am tolled is one of only 10 that they made in that gauge, most all of them were 20 BORE / gauge? 12 was special order?

Dear Toot you must be local to the Mad River area ? I made up' in the whites' for brer Curly . He went to his own lock after Navy Arms put the price up on him .I made up finished and duly proofed in England one 12 bore it has a blued barrel .mostly they where as you say 20 or 24bore offered in 36 or 42" lengths .Shaw Barrels got in and made up oct to round .
Regards Rudyard

Back