• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock I.D.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chawbeef

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all. I just acquired a lock from a friend and was wondering if anyone can identify the manufacturer, type and use of this lock. The lock plate alone is 6 inches long. The frizzen spring is quite heavy and there is logo of a fox (??) I think or an aardvark?? LOL on the plate. The mainspring looks like it doesn't fit in a notch in the bolster but has a screw hole in it. The only other markings are the number 12 stamped on the bolster and the frizzen.............................Daniel
146_4306.JPG
146_4307.JPG

That is a Sitting Fox stamp on the lock. Several makers were making a lock for the trade guns with a Sitting Fox stamped on the plate.

Sitting Fox Muzzle Loaders is a good place to start.

How does it spark?

Your lock was meant for a Northwest trade gun. It appears to be one of Curly Gostomski's locks from North Star Enterprises that he owned (see scan below from The Book of Buckskinning III). These locks (and parts for them) are no longer available due to health problems of the person that bought the company from Gostomski.

Gostomski-NW-trade-gun-lock-low-res.jpg

That is a Sitting Fox stamp on the lock. Several makers were making a lock for the trade guns with a Sitting Fox stamped on the plate.

Sitting Fox Muzzle Loaders is a good place to start.

How does it spark?
I have to tune it first, the sear nose catches the half cock notch at the moment. I also think that the tumbler may be soft...........................Daniel

Your lock was meant for a Northwest trade gun. It appears to be one of Curly Gostomski's locks from North Star Enterprises that he owned (see scan below from The Book of Buckskinning III). These locks (and parts for them) are no longer available due to health problems of the person that bought the company from Gostomski.

Gostomski-NW-trade-gun-lock-low-res.jpg
Thanks Phil. Looks like the main spring is held in place with a screw which looks like the head is broke off. No mounting holes in the bolster or front of lock plate so I think it was never used............Daniel

Yes, the main spring was held in place with a screw that has broken off.

Here are a couple of pictures that some other forum members have posted of their North Star Enterprises lock from the inside. I agree, I don't see any evidence that your lock has ever been on a gun.

curley-mark-jpg.19647

img_1499-jpg.3710

That is not a Sitting Fox lock. It looks like a North Star lock. I have a couple of the North Star guns, both Curly and Northstar West.
It has the Military styled slotted top jaw and hammer spur.
The Sitting Fox uses a flat spur with the top jaw riding flat against it.
Just my observation on it. Has been heavily sand or bead blasted.

Latest posts

Back