• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock and gun ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC One Shot

40 Cal
Reaction score
Picked up a 20/.62 Smoothbore that was supposedly built from parts from Pecatonica River Long Rifle a while ago but unsure of when as he has passed. The barrel is a double band hex to round .62 cal 41 1/2" long and blued or plum browned. The touch hole liner is a hex head style. They have added a gauge brass nose wrap on the stock. If any one can add any info it would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm certainly no expert but I'm thinking N.W. Trade Gun. Mostly due to the shape of the trigger guard and the nailed on butt plate (which looks like it will be painful to shoot with the nail heads left proud like they are), and I seem to recall reading something about that fox stamp recently , but can't remember what or where.

Found it,http://www.jaegerkorps.org/NRA/Hunting%20Guns%20in%20Colonial%20America.htm

Scroll down to the section about N.W. Trade guns and it mentions the seated fox stamp. Not sure how accurate the research there is, but it's and interesting read.

That is an early Curly Gostomski lock and very probbly early North Star Enterprises trade gun. Sort of a collecters item these days. It looks to be in VERY GOOD condition for its age.

Saying "hex to round is wrong. It is octogon to round. Probable from the late 70's or early 1980's. Overall length picture would help identify it. ..just sayin'...

Those exposed nail heads are a dead giveaway to the Curly era. We call them "cobble stones" now days. 'cause they leave evidence of recoil on your shoulder. ouch! Originals NEVER left those nail heads exposed. Draw filed 'em off.

The brass screw holding the sear screw is an ameteour repair, never brass screws on this type of gun. Call me and i will send a correct screw for it.

Matt
NSW, Inc.

if it has a star stamp on the inside of the lock it is a north star tradegun by curly goscomsice
currently know as north star west.

laffindog said:
That is an early Curly Gostomski lock and very probbly early North Star Enterprises trade gun. Sort of a collecters item these days. It looks to be in VERY GOOD condition for its age.

Saying "hex to round is wrong. It is octogon to round. Probable from the late 70's or early 1980's. Overall length picture would help identify it. ..just sayin'...

Those exposed nail heads are a dead giveaway to the Curly era. We call them "cobble stones" now days. 'cause they leave evidence of recoil on your shoulder. ouch! Originals NEVER left those nail heads exposed. Draw filed 'em off.

The brass screw holding the sear screw is an ameteour repair, never brass screws on this type of gun. Call me and i will send a correct screw for it.

Matt
NSW, Inc.

Matt, Thank you very much. I will call you this week.

Took the Curly NSW NW Trade Gun out to the range today.

I got the windage figured out pretty quick and shot consistently without any rear aids or marks. It is just dead center down the top of the flat to the sight and its bang on. I could not have asked for it to be any better. At 50 off the bench I was able to keep it within 1 1/2 or less left/right. Some were overlapping. I am thinking pretty damm good.

Elevation well, I have to work on that some. Trying to get it where the bottom of the sight frog legs sit on top of the rear flat. I tried some different charges to try to change the POI vertically and its coming. I also need to try a thicker patch and see how and if that changes the POI vertically as well.

Overall I am very pleased and it is a keeper. Curly, I would like to say thank you for a fine piece.

I want to say thanks to Matt from NSW. I spent some time on the phone with him yesterday and learned more about the NSW Trade Gun that I recently acquired. Matt also filled in some history about Curly and his making of guns and gun parts as well as the early days of NSW. I am now more informed. Thank you.

You will not fine a more helpful and nice guy around. I have one of North Star Officer's Model. Great gun. Brought it just before Mat took over as ramrod of the outfit. Broke a frizzen spring and lost a lock screw and Mat replace everything for free. Great outfit.

just for the record I have seen his tradeguns going for 1000 to 1400 for a rare 12 ga. nwgun

Back