• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Location of Ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
While searching Jaeger threads there was a pic of a real nice rifle with the ramrod mounted on the lock side of the stock. Its the only piece I've seen like that. Is this HC or a builders idea? It was a beautiful rifle.

The picture can be found about halfway down the first page of the thread "Jaeger Shooters" 02/27/09. A beautiful gun built by the proud father in the photo.

looks like a swivel breech to me. I suspect there is another ramrod on the other side.

two barrels, two frizzens, two ramrods, one lock...

hope it helps make sense of it.

When I enlarged the photo I realized it is a double barrel!

Did anyone put the ramrod on the side of single barrels?

Thanks Flinter40. I got looking and thought why didn't he use a swamped barrel. Duhhh! Could it be the other barrel in the way?

Canuck Bob said:
While searching Jaeger threads there was a pic of a real nice rifle with the ramrod mounted on the lock side of the stock. Its the only piece I've seen like that. Is this HC or a builders idea? It was a beautiful rifle.

Bob, that a swivel rifle - two barrels, one on top and one on the bottom, set up in a manner that the barrels rotate. When the load in the first barrel is fired, the second barrel can be rotated into place and then it is in position to be fired. The ramrod is on the stock panel on one side. Unusual but not unheard of.

Thanks again guys. I thought it was some kind of over/under with fixed barrels. I'm a plinker but I could see hunters considering the extra complexity. Mind you I could see it shining in combat or self defense situations 200 years ago.

Its a swivel breech flinter. Leonard Day still makes them, as do a few others. They are heavy, but nice guns to shoot.

Back