• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loads for 58 cal "Reneboar"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I just sent a not so great 50 cal. Renegade bbl off to Bobby Hoyt to be rebored to 58 Al with a slow twist for prb. Any ideas where to start with powder loads?

I'm kinda excited about this one!

exPAtriate

My Bobby Hoyt re-bored .58s have a 1:70 twist and like heavy loads to get the best accuracy. The flinter seems to like 95 grains, and the percussion gun 105 grains. I am currently working on a reduced load for plinking. Hoping for something around 35-40 grains.

My Renegade 58 reborn is so consistent all up and down the load scale that I haven't given much thought to load development. But, it's not for match shooting so that's a factor.

My tc 54 rebore is the same. 50 grains for match and 90 for the hunt.

Thanks everyone. Definitely for hunting, so I'll start at 90 and go up.

Grimord: I'm working on getting the 56 SB working with a .530 rb and jeans for a patch. I think that I need to start at 60 gr. FFg and work up from there.

My ,58 caliber is a .54 New Englander re-bored and rifled by Mr. Hoyt. The barrel has rounded grooves with a 1/66" twist rate. The sights are from a Remington 700 rifle.

Using 100 grains of Black MZ powder and a .570 ball;, five shot groups at 78 yards measure 1.1-1.3"

Back