• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading resistance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say put alcihol on a patch run it down then couple more patches see if that does not clean barrel out then try loading

If you polish your bore you may feel a big difference regardless of ball/patch combinations. Give it 200 strokes with patches smeared with valve grinding compound from auto parts stores. Clean it out with WD40 till patches are clean. Follow up with 20 full length strokes using automotive chrome polish-embedded patches.
After I clean my rifles I run a patch with chrome polish on it. They stay smooth-loading. You don’t need to worry, this is not going to change bore dimensions.

I assume you’re using a good solid rest and rear bag for the first 5 shots with Any change in load components?
Takes more than one day at the range.
Some rifles take years to “train”…. Or, in my case, years for the rifle to train Me ;-)

As some have said, try using different thickness on your patch. I took a micrometer and recorded the different thickness of various patches material. I then shot them all at a range and recorded accuracy and ease in loading. You can do the same with different size balls too. It takes time, but you can determine your best results with a given ball/patch combination and strive to use them.

This group was shot with my flintlock deer rifle. It has a well broken in Colrain .54 caliber barrel. It was not broken in as Rich Pierce suggests but with a thousand or more patched round balls. I think Rich's way would be a lot faster and maybe better.
I was shooting .530 round ball with .015 patch. Lubed with LeHigh Valley patch lube. LeHigh valley seems to be off the market again but Mr. Flintlock's lube is almost as good and slick.
Many shooters would tell me I cannot get good accuracy from this thin of a patch but obviously I can.
First thing is the powder charge, it is fairly light at 60 grains 3fg Goex. It won't leave near the amount of residue a heavier charge does and that greatly helps with subsequent loads.
Another thing is the lube. LeHigh Valley is a slick lube that really cuts through the fouling, making seating the ball much easier.
By understanding the factors that create those hard to seat round ball loads, then loading to reduce those factors can help to realize those easy to seat loads.

CCI06272017-0002-657x1024.jpg

Back