• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading press

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borne2fly

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Revolver loading stations. I’ve seen them advertised online. Thought about making my own just for fun, but then I stumbled upon a little benchtop press (online) used for leather embossing. With a minor change of tooling this thing seems ideal. Anyone else use something like that?

I bought a loader from Powder Inc. a number of years ago. It works good except you’ll need to change the base pin when switching between colt style and Remington style cylinders.

This would be similar … need to swap some simple bits & pieces when loading one type of cylinder or another. The leather press is a good chunk of steel (probably close to 10lbs), overkill in my opinion, but I reckon I can use it for more than just loading BP guns.

This would be similar … need to swap some simple bits & pieces when loading one type of cylinder or another. The leather press is a good chunk of steel (probably close to 10lbs), overkill in my opinion, but I reckon I can use it for more than just loading BP guns.
I'm calling Gavin Newsome.

Only a sick and twisted domestic terrorist Trump supporting knuckle dragger would use a 10 pound leather press to load his black powder revolver.

Can you share a link?
One of these ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1257461866...eEgsP2UFXAqTTfVv6/El02L1LItm|tkp:BFBMuMvh9Nph
The round support pole to the rear stands about 15" high. The press assembly clamps to the pole, but can be stationed anywhere along the pole to accommodate different working distances.
One thing I noted was there are three screws in the clamp .....two that actually "clamp", and one in the middle to spread the clamp apart to release it. One must be careful that these do not fight each other .... back off the center screw before tightening the clamp screws.
It does come with a drill chuck, so swapping simple round tooling is easy.
Of course, you will likely need to make something that sits at the base to secure whatever you're working on.

I have one that I used to use for embossing, but I now use it to push over lubed bullets through "push through" sizing dies.. Rigged a wooden block to hold the sizers, bolted into place and the press is set over a pan. Took the end of a brush handle that had a rounded pointed end that fits perfectly into the hollow bases. Flat base bullets I use a wooden dowel.

Slow, but you can put out over a hundred easily, sizing and lubing at the same time .Had all the stuff already, just using what I got.

I don't see why you couldn't rig one for a pistol cylinder easily enough.

Revolver loading stations. I’ve seen them advertised online. Thought about making my own just for fun, but then I stumbled upon a little benchtop press (online) used for leather embossing. With a minor change of tooling this thing seems ideal. Anyone else use something like that?

I have a number of arbor presses that I set up to load cylinders similar to what you are talking about. I have simple bases with locator buttons or posts for the different cylinder pin sizes and a couple of brass pushers that attached to the ram. If you’re careful you don’t really need the locator. Don’t use much since I stopped shooting SASS, but easy enough to put in any arbor press. Not even sure exactly where the bases are right now.
My Remingtons have a loading press built right into them.
When loading a dozen or more cylinders before a shoot in can be a PIA to load in the guns. And why strain both yourself and the gun’s loading lever assembly if you don’t have to.

Last edited:
This conversation prompted me to dig through a couple of cabinets, but I found my loading press. If I ever used it, it doesn’t show. Unrelated, but also found a “new”, unopened, TC breech plug wrench I bought back in probably 81’ or 82’.

Attachments

• FD1378DA-A05F-41F5-949F-3DA23F2746D2.jpeg
    FD1378DA-A05F-41F5-949F-3DA23F2746D2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • E0D6BF0D-0CBA-4154-9F73-408FD0F5B887.jpeg
    E0D6BF0D-0CBA-4154-9F73-408FD0F5B887.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
This conversation prompted me to dig through a couple of cabinets, but I found my loading press. If I ever used it, it doesn’t show. Unrelated, but also found a “new”, unopened, TC breech plug wrench I bought back in probably 81’ or 82’.
That removal tool is something I'd like to have for the Investarms....not that I ever anticipate pulling the breech plug, one of those things that would be nice to own, just in case. I hardly ever shoot more than 24-30 revolver loads so I'm fine with using the guns loading lever. If I'm in a hurry to shoot I'll use the Colt or Remington unmentionable models.

I have owned a multitude of cylinder loaders over the years, Most have been ok. A few have been 100% worthless. I recently bought a nib Powder INC loader. It is worth every penny and then some.

I bought a loader from Powder Inc. a number of years ago. It works good except you’ll need to change the base pin when switching between colt style and Remington style cylinders.
I bought a re-loading stand cheap. Ox Yoke. Under $40. It's not heavy duty, but works well. I have .44 & .36 .. you have to tear down with every re-load, but that allows you to run a brush thru the barrel. Loading powder, buffer ( cream of wheat) & ball all out of the gun is so much easier & neater. Worth every penny.. I made one out of old stuff laying around.. the Ox yoke one works better...

Attachments

• 20220318_164529.jpg
    20220318_164529.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Pro's & Con's on this style of charger for percussion cap revolvers. Presse11

Product Details
The only cap and ball cylinder loader on the market that can be used on all of the percussion cap and Ball revolvers that have a cylinder pin that passed thru the cylinder.

WILL NOT WORK ON THE STARR REVOLVER.

Works for the 1860 Army, 1851 and 61 Navies, Walker, Dragoons, Pocket models, Pietta Colt style Pepperbox, 1873 percussion models, Patterson, Dance & Brothers, Leech & Rigdon, Spiller & Burr, Remington, ( Full size & Pocket Models). Made of solid steel with cylinder pins and brass tips for seating the balls. This press will give you a lifetime of service. Has adjustable depth stop collar so you can seat the ball to the same depth each time. Comes with Allen wrenches and instructions. Will work for 31, 36, 44, 45 calibers. This is the only revolver loading press you will ever need.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
These are not cheap at over $100.00 each ...

Has anyone had any experience with either one of these chargers. I'm trying to put together everything needed for my new toy, an 1851 Colt Series Navy (Uberti London marked) revolver. It's now having some custom work done on it, action job, and a few other items.

I have a number of arbor presses that I set up to load cylinders similar to what you are talking about. I have simple bases with locator buttons or posts for the different cylinder pin sizes and a couple of brass pushers that attached to the ram. If you’re careful you don’t really need the locator. Don’t use much since I stopped shooting SASS, but easy enough to put in any arbor press. Not even sure exactly where the bases are right now.

When loading a dozen or more cylinders before a shoot in can be a PIA to load in the guns. And why strain both yourself and the gun’s loading lever assembly if you don’t have to.

Show us some pictures of your arbor press ideas SDSmlf ...

I just bought one for I think 26 bucks. It seems like it would work OK.
When I get my other 1858 in I'll load a bunch of cylinders up with it and see if I like it.

Without having used it yet, it seems like it would be less fiddly than loading up extra cylinders using the gun.

I had a hand made rig but bought the traditions press for short money. drilled it and mounted on a larger board as the base was too short. it works well. I never load on the gun. way faster and easier to load on the bench. Less wear and tear on the gun. likly a different story with colts.?

Pro's & Con's on this style of charger for percussion cap revolvers. Presse11's & Con's on this style of charger for percussion cap revolvers. Presse11

Product Details
The only cap and ball cylinder loader on the market that can be used on all of the percussion cap and Ball revolvers that have a cylinder pin that passed thru the cylinder.

WILL NOT WORK ON THE STARR REVOLVER.

Works for the 1860 Army, 1851 and 61 Navies, Walker, Dragoons, Pocket models, Pietta Colt style Pepperbox, 1873 percussion models, Patterson, Dance & Brothers, Leech & Rigdon, Spiller & Burr, Remington, ( Full size & Pocket Models). Made of solid steel with cylinder pins and brass tips for seating the balls. This press will give you a lifetime of service. Has adjustable depth stop collar so you can seat the ball to the same depth each time. Comes with Allen wrenches and instructions. Will work for 31, 36, 44, 45 calibers. This is the only revolver loading press you will ever need.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
These are not cheap at over $100.00 each ...

Has anyone had any experience with either one of these chargers. I'm trying to put together everything needed for my new toy, an 1851 Colt Series Navy (Uberti London marked) revolver. It's now having some custom work done on it, action job, and a few other items.
I've used the smaller press from Powder Inc. for years. Best press available. Only downside is that the brass plungers supplied are for ball and not conical pointed bullets. I solved that problem by purchasing a .44 cal. Uberti Remington NMA plunger from Taylor's, cut off the two ears, tapped 10-32 to match the 10-32 stud on the press and beveled it a little deeper. Works great for Johnston & Dow bullets without distorting the point. Buy the Uberti .36 cal. plunger for your 1851 Colt Navy and modify it if you ever would like to shoot the .36 cal. Colt Cartridge Works conical bullet.

1697563508556.png

1697563592829.png

Last edited:
Back