• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loading cast lead balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How Important is it to load the flat spot up on cast lead balls? Does it really effect accuracy that much? :hmm:

Nicholas Earp said:
How Important is it to load the flat spot up on cast lead balls? Does it really effect accuracy that much? :hmm:
I've personally, intentionally loaded and shot 50 cast balls during a range session without paying any attention to the spru location whatsoever and found no difference in my accuracy...in fact I'll be doing it again tomorrow morning with a .40cal Flintlock and Eddie May's .395s.

In addition, the "bevel brothers" published test results in Muzzleblasts a couple years back concluding no difference in spru location.

If there is the slightest difference in a ball due to a spru, one of the main purposes of the spin caused by rifling is that minor imperfections are constanly offset / equalized by the rotation.

Note:
The balls I use, and I assume that the Bevel Brothers used simply had a spot where the spru was...however, I've seen some cast balls with quite a raised spru sticking up which I would in fact always center it on top simply to avoid mechanicel interference with rifling if placed on a side.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sprue will always end up in the same place no matter how you load it. It's like a top. The ball will find it's own axis.

For the same reason voids, weight sorting, and wrinkles have little to no effect on accuracy.

Latest posts

Back