• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load cards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would be better off measuring the larger bore, if not choked this is, and getting confirmed cards .030-.040" larger and use in both barrels.
In fact if it is choked and the larger barrel is cylinder do the same any way .

I have a gun marked 20g, Store bought 20g wad products are useless, to small!

@BlackRock52,

Circle Fly has a shotgun wad chart on their web site. They have a PDF download for the wad sizes.

https://circlefly.com/
The diameter of their 19 gauge wad is 0.636" and is recommended for a Pedersoli 20 gauge.

The diameter of their 20 gauge wad is 0.625" and is recommended for different products.

Order the 19 gauge wads.

The 18 gauge wad has a diameter of 0.647" and is probably a bit large for your shotgun.

Assuming you use them, the under shot fiber wads, do you wet/lube them with anything?
I am most definitely a newbie and quite low on the learning curve for smooth bores!

Assuming you use them, the under shot fiber wads, do you wet/lube them with anything?
I am most definitely a newbie and quite low on the learning curve for smooth bores!
If I may be bold...do yourself a favour brother. Just use a few overshot cards as a wad. You don't need anything else.

And yes, if it gets crusty when loading, add a blob of lube between the thin cards.

Read the sticky at the top of this forum on Skychief's Shot Load Link. There's a lot of good information in that topic that will give you a real head start on shooting a smooth bored gun. @Britsmoothy's suggestion of using just the over shot cards is also good and a bit easier to load that getting the proper balance of wad, lubricant quantity with the Skychief load.

Try brown paper that’s you rub till tough between your hands. Cut in rectangles 2” x 1”fold in half push down the bore, tap a couple times serves over powder and overshot will fit both side. KISS answer

If you want even simpler, skip the wads and load a measure of powder, a measure of yellow corn meal, a measure of shot, an overshot card, and seat the whole mess with one trip of the rammer. Great patterns and no problem seating wads for many, many shots.

If you want even simpler, skip the wads and load a measure of powder, a measure of yellow corn meal, a measure of shot, an overshot card, and seat the whole mess with one trip of the rammer. Great patterns and no problem seating wads for many, many shots.
More fiddle though friend.

Re the brown paper and any other paper watch out for fire risk! It becomes nitrated and can smoulder.

Latest posts

Back