• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load Advice for French 1822 T Bis 18mm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Fellows,
I recive a matching Numbers French 1822 T Bis Musket with rifled 18mm Barrel! Nice Gun in top Condition and good Bore Condition. So i want to shoot it but has no idea how🤔 Paper Catridge RB or Minie Bullet what Diameter?! Please help👌🏻

So today I took my musket and measured the bore a .715 Ball fits allmost perfet in the muzzle without a path snug fit a .690 with a 0.18 gets gently and with a .20 patch little snuggy a .660 with 0.20” patcg gets tumb well in the muzzle !the bore are shiny with sharp riflings👌🏻🍀

Just like this….
00D6C324-1C1D-44A1-9D27-8F4D121656C0.jpeg

I just rip off a piece and put it into a wad to fit the barrel, ramrod it home on top of the ball. Good grief man it’s not rocket science. Look at the picture I uploaded, the wad that I put in the barrel is on the far right of the picture.

Sorry I don’t have noticed the pictures, but I don’t understand how the loose boy can have Akari when it was so loose in the barrel because the .715 was more snug in the barrel, then the 690

So today I took my musket and measured the bore a .715 Ball fits allmost perfet in the muzzle without a path snug fit a .690 with a 0.18 gets gently and with a .20 patch little snuggy a .660 with 0.20” patcg gets tumb well in the muzzle !the bore are shiny with sharp riflings👌🏻🍀
Sounds like you may have a good shooting original, consider posting photos.

If you haven't replaced the nipple, do this first to prevent injury & damage to your musket.
*In my 60+ years of shooting original flint & percussion era firearms, the vent hole in original nipples often becomes enlarged enough by corrosion enough to blow the hammer off of the lock's tumbler when fired.
A proper powder charge for your musket would be 70 grains of 2F black powder.
Relic shooter

Back