• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little damascus skinner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Not PC at all but I like working with damascus..3 3/4" random pattern damascus blade with sheephorn handle slabs,total length around 8"..

]
2375606640063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

2681020670063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

2080937030063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

Pitchy..someday I`ll send you a piece of damascus to play with..Get the shape of the knife you want and send it back and when were harden the blades I`ll harden and temper yours..

I like playing with damascus,pretty much looks like regular steel till you etch and then the pattern really shows

RickD said:
I like playing with damascus,pretty much looks like regular steel till you etch and then the pattern really shows

I`ve never tried it, next winter when i crank the forge up again i`ll have to give it a try. :thumbsup:

I`m finishing up damascus ULU knife for a fellow then no more knives for a while

WOW nice job on the knife and handle, love the sheep handle ,and the leather works look nice what kinda leather is it

Rick, sweet looking knife. I really like the sheep slabs on that. What material did you use to get such a contrast in the light and dark on the blade. I have been playing with 10XX series steels for damascus and while I am getting contrast it is not jumping out. :surrender:
Great knife! :thumbsup:

Nice, just curious, do you use flux? If you do, what type? I've been experimenting around with different things. It seems like I've had the best luck with simply no flux at all.
What are your thoughts? You obvously have he techneque down. That blade is awesome.
Regards
Loyd Shindelbower

RickD I really like that knife. The handle is fantastic and love the hove prints! I don't know what to say about the blade itself, except, wow !!The sheath looks perfect for the knife! :hatsoff:

cant lie I havent a clue what sheep tracks look like..Deer tracks will have to do..Heres another knife made from cable damascus..Not really damascus just has a pattern something like damascus..Its made from a steel cable..

2385905640063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

:bow: :bow:
Man I love the shape of that knife! It could be used so many ways. It would make a skinner, a fillet knife, or just to carve on a Mountain Lion, :wink: if you know what I mean! :thumbsup:
WOOOOOOW!

Rick: Sheep tracks are less rounded in shape at the forward edge, and the two toes are more rounded rectangles that are parallel to each other, rather rounding at the front to appear to be coming together. What you put on your knife handle would be a good set of tracks for a standing deer. When they walk, the back foot steps into the impression made by the front foot, leaving a small doubling of the impressions, depending on whether the deer is a buck or a doe. A does leaves a double print with the newer( rear) track on the outside of the track of the front foot. The Bucktrack will be the opposite.

And, then because of eye dominance, the dominant track will have the rear foot stepping about 1/4 to the rear of the front track, so that you have part of the inside or outside of the track, and part of the toe of the front track still showing after the rear foot obliterates the rest of the track. The non-dominant foot will show the rear foot stepping onto the full front impression, showing none of the toes, except the doubling on the inside or outside of the track reflecting sex ID.

Back