• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little Adjustments

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filing the rear notch alone won't bring the group up. But filing the top edge lower, and one will probably have to make the notch deeper, will bring the group up. I had to do this with my smoothrifle, the front sight being soldered on.

Really. If he's got too low a front sight, and he files the rear sight down he will get to a point where the sight picture should allow him to get a more dead on aim. If he were not going to touch the front sight then yes, a taller rear sight would bring up the group. I'm not talking filing the rear sight so low that it causes him to aim lower. But if you start out with too tall sights or two short ones, you should be able to get the same result.

To move point of impact downward, one should either add material to the front sight or remove material from the rear sight. Conversely, adding material to the rear sight or removing it from the front sight moves the point of impact upward.

I've always found those rear buck-horn to be a PITA.
Sure, all that manure about "low_light" situations,, but honest, the front post is supposed to line up with something??
It all depends on your sight picture,,
How do you center that front post in the back with your eyes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sights
suggesting a type of sight or manufacture is advise, when adjusting sights there is only one way
From Custom Turret Systems
If your bullets punch too far to the left of the bullseye, then move the rear sight to the right. If the point of impact is too far to the right, then move the rear sight to the left. The rule is the same for both vertical and lateral adjustments. Just move the rear sight in the same direction you want to move the point of impact.

That would make the weapon shoot even lower. You raise the rear sight to get higher on the target.
but now my front sight is too low,
"Front sight is too low,,,,,"
The gun is shooting too high....

And as I said, just filing the notch won't (or shouldn't with proper sight picture) change point of impact.

"Front sight is too low,,,,,"
The gun is shooting too high....

And as I said, just filing the notch won't (or shouldn't with proper sight picture) change point of impact.

Always remember if you raise the rear sight the bullets will shoot higher if you lower the rear sight your bullets will shoot lower! I wouldn't dare try to explain why. It is easier for you to pick up the rifle and get a picture of what is happening.

Always remember if you raise the rear sight the bullets will shoot higher if you lower the rear sight your bullets will shoot lower! I wouldn't dare try to explain why. It is easier for you to pick up the rifle and get a picture of what is happening.
I, totally understand that....
The rifle is shooting too high as evidenced by the o.p. stating the front sight is too low....
Yet we have a bunch of people here giving advice that will make it shoot higher,,, or,,,, have no effect at all...

Unless someone is lining up the top of the rear sight with, the bottom of the rear sight notch,,,, HOW THE HECK IS MAKING THE NOTCH DEEPER GOING TO EFFECT ANYTHING?!

Filing the top edge of the rear sight however will have the effect of lowering it,,,, thus lowering the point of impact. 20210623_094111.jpg20210623_094025.jpg20210623_094159.jpg
This rear sight was probably a little over a 16th of an inch taller when I started filing it, I don't remember the measurement,,, but, filing the entire rear sight lower brought my group down about 6 inches by the time I was done.

I, totally understand that....
The rifle is shooting too high as evidenced by the o.p. stating the front sight is too low....
Yet we have a bunch of people here giving advice that will make it shoot higher,,, or,,,, have no effect at all...

Unless someone is lining up the top of the rear sight with, the bottom of the rear sight notch,,,, HOW THE HECK IS MAKING THE NOTCH DEEPER GOING TO EFFECT ANYTHING?!

Filing the top edge of the rear sight however will have the effect of lowering it,,,, thus lowering the point of impact.View attachment 85002View attachment 85003View attachment 85004
This rear sight was probably a little over a 16th of an inch taller when I started filing it, I don't remember the measurement,,, but, filing the entire rear sight lower brought my group down about 6 inches by the time I was done.

Your first post said "File the notch deeper to lower impact" that would make the impact higher! If you don't understand stop what you are doing and get some help before you ruin your rifle!

Broken, there’s a lot of us that shoot with the front bead …. Bedded in the rear notch.. Sunset position.

LME, filing sights won’t ruin your rifle… it could cause you to have too but more sights however.👍

Broken, there’s a lot of us that shoot with the front bead …. Bedded in the rear notch.. Sunset position.

LME, filing sights won’t ruin your rifle… it could cause you to have too but more sights however.👍
It isn't my rifle,,,,, and filing the notch in the rear sight will not make the gun shoot higher.. Filing the notch alone will not do anything.

But, thanks for catching my typo. Unfortunately it is too late to edit that 1st post. I did mean filing, the entire, rear sight will lower the group,,,, which I think I covered in follow up posts.
It was a typo though so thanks for catching it.

First, for those of you who got it backwards, don't feel bad. I have been at the range more than once holding a file in my hand staring off in space trying to be sure I file the front sight to bring point of aim up.

As to filing the rear sight . . . this is my rear sight
IMG_3691.JPG

I've always found those rear buck-horn to be a PITA.
Sure, all that manure about "low_light" situations,, but honest, the front post is supposed to line up with something??
It all depends on your sight picture,,
How do you center that front post in the back with your eyes?

So for me, as I get older I like the buck-horn, but I couldn't say why. Something about it allows me to deal with my old eyes trying to adjust 🤷‍♂️

I like the front post to fill that little notch, making a flat plan with a brass center, then a 6 O'clock hold. . .so something like

dot.jpg

Back