• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's talk about breech "gunk"!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my barrels are patent breech and I keep them swabbed out for serious accuracy shooting but they do fine for many shots without swabbing the patent breech. If loading for game it's clean as a whistle and dry as a bone. I have one TC PA hunter that shoots like a dream if it's clean but a bit worse if it isn't.

Once I started using M.A.P or M.A.W. solution.. I can't seem to find my brush or scraper... :hmm: Must be covered with so much dust that
I can't find it.... :haha:

These are two of the cleaning solution of equal parts of -

MAP = Murphy's Oil Soap, Rubbing Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide

MAW = Murphy's Oil Soap, Rubbing Alcohol,Water

There is concern that the active nature of the hydrogen peroxide can lead to flash rusting. Both can be effective cleaning solutions.

Thank you.
I shoot Dutch's dry patch system in my patent breech rifles and wipe between shots with a damp patch.
Excellent, trouble free results.
When I tried it in my flat breech flintlock, I experience the dreaded "gunk" buildup which eventually leads to delayed ignition issues. I finally tried Mr. Flintlock cleaner and patch lube. No wiping, no problems and excellent results on targets.
Those solutions may have the same results. I may give'em a try.
Thanks again.

I can testify that the use of MAP does not result in flash rusting, at least not over the last 15-years for me.

I think it was Stumpkiller (Stumpy of Stumpy's Moose Snot)who explained why Hydrogen Peroxide couldn't cause the flash rust when mixed with Alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap (known in the 18th ct. as soft-soap). It will cause rust by itself but can't when mixed with the other ingredients. It's one of those chemistry things...

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Is the Hydrogen Peroxide referred to the 3 % solution commonly available, or something more concentrated..???
I've used up to 30% in certain industrial applications and wouldn't recommend anyone without considerable chemical safety training get anywhere near that stuff.

Use the 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. You get a lot of foam and lots of fouling is removed very quickly. The oil soap and the 70% alcohol solution gets the oils left from the patch lubricants.

There are those who think that if the standard solutions are good then the higher concentrations are better. They are not better enough to make a difference other than to cost more.

I can't say why but I haven't been bothered with gunk build-up on my breach. I do wipe between shots with a 10:1 mixture of water to Ballistol. Just lightly moisten the patch and run it down in one smooth stroke and one stroke back up. No pumping. At one time I had a breach brush and it was really nice for removing any soft gunk or gunk that was first loosened with my breach scraper. That was only when I was doing my final cleaning before putting my gun away. I never had to do that while I was shooting. I sure wish I still had that breach brush but I laid it down somewhere and it is gone. TOW doesn't sell them anymore. Dixie has them and if I still went through Union City, Tenn. I'd stop by and get one. But I just don't want one badly enough to pay twice as much as the brush costs just for the postage. Tightwad? Yeah, maybe. It was nice but it was not essential.

Bill,
I wish I knew why you don't have buildup issues. I have found the only way to avoid it in my flat breech flintlock rifle is to use a wet patch and NOT wipe between shots. When I was using the dry patch system, wiping between shots with a "just damp" patch, I would eventually begin experiencing delayed ignition and/or complete failures to ignite.I tried successively thinner wiping patches. I reduced the diameter of the jag on the end of my wiping rod, found and used flat-faced jags..etc. Some of those measures definitely helped...but nothing made the "issues" go away altogether to allow me to enjoy 30-40 shots in a range session without problems.

Don Steele said:
Bill,
I wish I knew why you don't have buildup issues. I have found the only way to avoid it in my flat breech flintlock rifle is to use a wet patch and NOT wipe between shots. When I was using the dry patch system, wiping between shots with a "just damp" patch, I would eventually begin experiencing delayed ignition and/or complete failures to ignite.I tried successively thinner wiping patches. I reduced the diameter of the jag on the end of my wiping rod, found and used flat-faced jags..etc. Some of those measures definitely helped...but nothing made the "issues" go away altogether to allow me to enjoy 30-40 shots in a range session without problems.

It's hard to say, Don, but I haven't had any problems with gunk build up causing any ignition problems. I shoot 3f Goex in all of my rifles. I don't know if using 3f VS 2f is the reason or if it that Goex is any cleaner burning than what you are using. I just don't have the answer but I have shot quite a few ( 35 to 40 shots) from both my .36 cal. caplock and my .40 cal. flintlock with no gunk build up causing any ignition problems. No problems with the .45, .50s or .54s either. :idunno: Guess it's just pure thoughts, clean living and going to church on most Sundays is the answer. :haha:

Thanks for the good thoughts Bill.
I also use 3f Goex exclusively in my 40 caliber flintlock, which is the only flat breech rifle I have, and the only rifle I own that exhibits these problems.
While I'm not sure that it would resolve my problem, some clean living can't hurt. Might have to give it a try..!!

Skychief said:
Last time I shot it a good bit, I purposefully tried a long string of shots with no wiping the bore between any of those shots. ... At the end of said string of shots, I used my breech scraper and still found a pretty good glob down there...

You didn't mention if this was the first string of the day, maybe it wasn't? Shooting without wiping won't clean a plug that is already fouled, so it's possible you were just seeing the fouling from the previous string where you were wiping between shots. I don't shoot a smoothbore but I never wipe my .58 flint rifle between shots, and even after a day of shooting the fouling at the breech is not bad at all, it seems like it gets to a certain point after a few shots and stays there. A couple of twists with the scraper when I'm done and I just get a bit of crud out of the barrel, not even a thimble full.

I had so much build up in my 20 gauge, I had to clean after each shot. This was unacceptable. I bought some wool felt cloth (cloth store) and a 5/8 inch wad punch from the hardware store. I melted bees wax and mutton tallow together about half and half and spread it on the felt, squeegeeing it out thin. When it cooled, I punched a bunch of felt wads that were exactly 20 gauge. Now I load one of these over the powder before my card wad, then the shot and overshot wad. Each time I fire the gun, the burning powder melts the tallow/wax and smears it all the way down the barrel. This keeps the fowling soft enough to ram down the next felt and overpowder card wad, which scrapes all the gunk down on top of the powder to be shot out next time around. This felt wad is so light and thin that it does not mess up the pattern like a thick greased cushion wad does. This is easy, cheap, fast, and works well.

I was dealing with fouling just in front of the normal powder charge area and a ways up the barrel. I think you were talking about build up in the breech plug area. I have never owned a breech scraper and do not wipe between shots. I haven't had a problem with that.

I deal with the crud ring, too. It doesn't seem to be a problem except you have to ensure your ball is seated on the charge and not the crud ring. A witness make comes in handy for sure.

The crud ring is actually the only reason I wipe after about 5 shots

Back