• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's get the lead out!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I believe my smoothbore would benefit from a good brushing with a lead removing solvent of some sort.

So, what removes lead from a bore the best, in your experience? :hmm:

Thanks much, Skychief

Brush, 3/0 steel wool, Shooters choice or T fluid or Kriol, or any oil, put brush on rod and send down the bore with a drill spinning it, do that for a minute or two and it will be shiny clean of lead.

I have cleaned a few thousand shotgun bores this way when I had my shop.

All of the above -- plus time & elbow grease - oil well when done :v :grin: .

Don't get any old copper pad, because most are copper warshed STEEL!!! :shocked2:

The Chore Boy pads are good because they're pure copper, and are the "ticket" for scrubbing deposited lead in a gun bore. But, the meth heads use them in their pipes so the Man has made it a "chore" for a "boy" to find "chore boys"!! :grin: One place that does carry them is ACE (the helpful place) hardware store.

I've never seen any sign of leading with any of my BP shotguns. Smokeless, yes, but not BP. Low velocity, maybe?

Spence

:hmm: After my hunt Wednesday, I cleaned my gun partner (as usual with water),then, thought I would try some solvent I had on hand to see what it might drag out. I was disturbed to see what I can only guess to be traces of lead coming out patch after patch. :idunno:

I have a hunch that after so many shot loads fired, some of those pellets must leave something behind in the bore. I could be wrong.

Best regards, Skychief

It certainly won't hurt to go after any lead that is there, even if it isn't. :wink:

Spence

George said:
I've never seen any sign of leading with any of my BP shotguns. Smokeless, yes, but not BP. Low velocity, maybe?

Spence

I have!...in both rifles and shotguns.
Obviously how one loads will make a difference..

It's amazing to see what a chore boy removes....
The single biggest piece of lead I ever removed from a gun was a modern .22 pistol.....It was a cylindrical tube of lead that weighed 7 grains... :shocked2:

Smokey Plainsman said:
Don't get any old copper pad, because most are copper warshed STEEL!!! :shocked2:

The Chore Boy pads are good because they're pure copper, and are the "ticket" for scrubbing deposited lead in a gun bore.

But, the meth heads use them in their pipes so the Man has made it a "chore" for a "boy" to find "chore boys"!!

:grin: One place that does carry them is ACE (the helpful place) hardware store.

the chore boys are usually used in home made supressors and the gov don't get it's $200 tax money and your information. Sorta like moonshining, making the liquor is OK, just gotta pay a ridiculous tax rate, even for personal consumption.

And yes I use them for scrubbing bores. Particularly of the many ML that get used and "put up wet" and abused other ways. Worse the bore the more you need a chore boy.

FP

The stainless scrub buds will not scratch the steel or mess up a blued surface. When you get rust and dirt on the pad it will scratch. I have used a bushell basket of them over the years. They were the first choice to remove rust in shop I worked at. We used a detergent solution, not oil. Just keep the pad clean.

Softer metals, like copper are, more likely to imbed with grit. That causes a lapping action.

In the end it will all work fine. No need to split hairs over what is best.

I really like the lead wipeaway clothes. I use them religiously for cleaning the burn marks on revolvers but also every other time I clean my MLs (only in the bore). Just clean your ML as you normally do, make sure the barrel is dry, and then cut a small square of the wipeaway clothe and swab it up & down in the bore. Just be very careful you don't get the cleaning solution that accumulates on the barrel crown on your hands and transfer it elsewhere on the barrel; this stuff will remove bluing !! That said, it's amazing how well it cleans and polishes the a "clean" bore.
https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Remover-Polishing-6-Inch/dp/B00AU67BEM

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen anything remove lead from a barrel like Gunzilla cleaner. I use nothing else since trying it several years ago on all my lead shooting guns.It also dissolves carbon deposits and is very good for any black powder shooting gun.
It has no water or petroleum in it!

Scota4570 said:
The stainless scrub buds will not scratch the steel or mess up a blued surface.

Softer metals, like copper are, more likely to imbed with grit. That causes a lapping action.

:bull: Let's examine that closer..... :hmm:

Latest posts

Back