• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LePage Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28457

Did substantial shooting with this today. Ignition was postive right up until I had the flint worn down to a short nub with nothing left to knap. I suspect about 70 rounds. I did not start to improve my accuracy until I started using goex 3f in place of the 4f g for priming. For whatever reason, this speeded ignition substantially and allowed me to put more shots on target.

Still, it will be a long time before I can even approach the accuracy I get with my Lepage caplock.
Wiping out the barrel after each shot, 20 grains of Goex fffg averaged 767 fps with 25 fps spread for Five rounds. Swiss fffg read off 937 with an extreme spread of 68 fps. This is a bit much of a good thing and I will try 15 grains of swiss. I note that my Lepage Caplock produced 868 and 1005 fps with the same charges and the same patched .433 ball.
Both of the Lepages are extremly high quality guns. The stock on the flintlock is a darker, higher grade walnut and the checkering and engraving is a bit more elaborate.

The tool kit in the picture comes, like many Italian items, without any instructions but the uses became transparent as I shot the gun. The stiff brush is useful for cleaning the pan, The brass headed hammer can be used for knaping the front edge of the flint. The key-like object has a couple of double cut-outs that will final-dress the leading edge of the flint. There is also a vent pick and a thicker pick probably intended to tighten the jaws. Both pistols come with a separate loading rod that will accomidate various jags and bullet pullers.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28460

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28461

Dang nice, thanks for posting.

The frizzen spring looks brutal. Where in relation to the cock fall does the frizzen take off?

Interesting comparison between flint and percussion. Sounds like the touch hole on the flinter saps about 100 fps worth of energy.

:thanks:

not sure I've seen that . I position the flint close to the frizzen at half cock. Starts in pretty high up as I remember. The main spring is pretty strong too.

The hundred feet per second wasn't a surprise. I used to see that with the thompson center hawkins when people had one of each ignition system.

I'm looking to get a hold of one these Le Page dueling pistols. What are the options. I've seen the ones at Taylor, then I think Dixie Gun Works sells a few versions of them. Not sure avbout whether to go capper or flinter yet.......??

Thanks for any info, sse

There is at least one LePage Dueler that is made by somebody other than Pedersoli. The rifled barrels are generlly called .44 (or 36) while the smooth bore is called 45. Pedersoli has both and the Flintlock smooth bore is very useful as the International Muzzle loaders Committee only sponsors matches for smooth bore flintlocks.

Thanks, mec. I assume all of yours are Pedersoli? The other mfg is Armi Sport. I'm looking for any comparisons between the two, prices, etc. The Armi Sport capper has a double set trigger, too.

Anyway, thanks again, sse

The double set trigger on that looks very interesting. I'm not sure how to compare them quality-wise as both of mine are Pedersoli. I have a percussion and a flint. I seem to remember that the armi-sport was a bit less expensive than the Pedersoli.

Also ordered some flints from Dixie Gunworks as curious to see what they really had as actually needing the flints. The zeroed out the Arkansas flints sent a German Agate flint and several American flints. There were about five of the american flints two of them probably usable and the others just thin slices of flint that are probably not strong enough to hold up to any shooting. I haven't heard much good about either the german agate or the rough american jobs but wanted to try them anyway.

Is this the smooth bore Lepage? If so you have the gun that took the gold medal at the Muzzleloading World Championships. If it is a smoothie these guys tend to use around 30 grains of powder to get best acccuracy. Evidently you really have to wallop the ball to get it to fly well in a smooth bore. I have even seen 35 grains. The info is on the web.

Dwight

K38 said:
Is this the smooth bore Lepage? If so you have the gun that took the gold medal at the Muzzleloading World Championships. If it is a smoothie these guys tend to use around 30 grains of powder to get best acccuracy. Evidently you really have to wallop the ball to get it to fly well in a smooth bore. I have even seen 35 grains. The info is on the web.

Dwight

As I am interested in the near future in getting hold of this style of dueling pistol, has anyone made a practical hands-on comparison of the "LePage" versus the "Mang in Graz" or the "Kuchenreuter" also made by Pedersoli?

Thanx

Davy

Davy,

If you are interested I have one of the Pedersoli Lepage #s-327-45 Target International smoothbore pistols. It is in like new condition. I shot it a couple of times. I then bought an original English Flint Dueller, that I now use in competition, and put the Lepage away. I would be able to give you a heck of a good deal on it. Thunder Ridge Muzzleloading sells these for $850.00 If your interested I would sell it for a couple hundred less than that. I can also send pics. Let me know. You can e-mail me if you would like.
Thanks
Tom

izee2 said:
Davy,

If you are interested I have one of the Pedersoli Lepage #s-327-45 Target International smoothbore pistols. It is in like new condition. I shot it a couple of times. I then bought an original English Flint Dueller, that I now use in competition, and put the Lepage away. I would be able to give you a heck of a good deal on it. Thunder Ridge Muzzleloading sells these for $850.00 If your interested I would sell it for a couple hundred less than that. I can also send pics. Let me know. You can e-mail me if you would like.
Thanks
Tom

While I drool at the prospect of owning one, and do appreciate your generous offer, I am bound and restrained by the realilites of Christmas around the corner. But we never know what may happen after the first of the year! :hmm: Of course I COULD win the lottery, and then I could buy one of each and all of them! :grin:

Thanx kind sir ... for thinking of me!

Davy

Davy,
No problem. If ya hit the lottery I might have to charge a little more. :grin:
Take Care
Tom

Back