• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leisurely or hard hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
No longer hunt but think back when I went on MLer elk self hunts in mostly CO and seeing the application success was based on a lottery and number of preference points system and was usually successful every 3-4 yrs, the hunt was a treasured event.

Starting w/ the long trip to CO well ahead of the 9 day season opener, only a couple of minor problems were encountered during any of the hunts.

The regimen during the hunt days was a 4AM rising, a small breakfast and seeing our camp was at 10,200 and we hunted at approx. 11,000, a climb greeted us every AM.

We found that stashing a "butcher pack" before opening day in the area we hunted eliminated the need to go down to camp. This "pack" had everything req'd to butcher and pack in meat, including Colemans for late kills.

One late AM day my son killed a mature cow and survey taped his route to the top and found my nephew and I and we got the butcher pack and he cruised the area and the problem was that he hadn't tape high enough. As we were waiting for him, 2 bears were watching us until my son returned....he hadn't found the elk. So we each headed down the wooded slope and after awhile I saw some magpies and a lone raven take off. I was happy for the help and we cut up and tied the meat to the backpack frames. A thunder storm came over as we started up the steep slope.

To make a long story short, we arrived in camp at 2AM and went to bed.

Our return to camp was in the dark every night and a prepared meal was eaten along w/ a couple of drinks and to bed we went.

This regimen during the hunt didn't allow for daytime camp leisure and the members of the hunt {usually 3-4} all thought alike on this. We came to hunt and we hunted hard.

The exception to a camp visit during the day was when meat was backpacked in....couldn't let it sit around because of the many black bears in the area....saw quite a few while hunting and surprised a few at the gut piles.

Altogether we would spend 2 weeks on these trips which did allow camp time, just not during the season. Enjoyed every minute.

Sorry for the long post......Fred

flehto said:
...the members of the hunt {usually 3-4} all thought alike....

Boy, is that ever the key to a successful enjoyable hunting camp. Sounds as though you and yours would fit just fine in our camps.

I can get elk tags every year, Whitetail, bear, mule deer too. If I want to hunt antelope I need to go south. We can predator hunt year round and shoot Black Bear year round.

When I was young and new to hunting, I hunted hard, sun up to sun down. Didn't have as much free time then either. Shot a lot of game. Since I was about 40, have had a lot more free time to do as I like. Now I hunt much more leisurely, still shoot a lot of game. Have never had a year where I didn't fill at least one of my tags, most years filled multy tags. No longer interested in back packing moose and elk. If I can't get horses, quad or snowmobile to within a quarter mile, it can live for another day.

I think I like the leisurely hunting much better.

How hard I hit it really depends on the tag I have. The last few years I have been getting a tag that is not a super good trophy hunt. This is a either sex hunt and my son and I tend to just enjoy being together more and hunting.

Sorry for the long post......Fred

Fred,
Thanks for the post. Enjoyed reading it. I am of the family/leisure hunting crew. With my job (large animal vet) I have lost the desire to kill for killing sake, and truly do MOST of my hunting to spend time with the family or just get some woods time. Heck, you are probably just as likely to walk up on me in the woods playing with a bow drill set during deer season as hunting. I love the time around the campfire with family and friends. That is why I go.

Doc

All I want is meat in the freezer. I get the great outdoors on a daily basis.
So I milk it and make things easy for me. Lucky I don't have to go more than a stones throw from the house to get into my favorite spot.

Cynthialee said:
All I want is meat in the freezer. I get the great outdoors on a daily basis.
So I milk it and make things easy for me. Lucky I don't have to go more than a stones throw from the house to get into my favorite spot.

Same here.....Had a nice doe right outside my door this morning....would have been easy plucking... :haha:

When I was younger (and dumber), I equated effort expended with success. However, I never slowed down enough to really figure it all out. Now that my years and physical condition don't allow the energy expenditure of my youth, I have to slow down and am at least as successful now as I was then.

Too bad I didn't learn this lesson 40 years ago. :doh:

I am lucky enough to spend time in both worlds.

The man who took me on my 1st big game hunt when I was 14 is now himself 73-74. We try to hunt deer together almost every year, and I will sometimes get a doe antelope tag & go up to WY where he moved at retirement and hunt with him and his grandson. Our hunts were once marathons, now-a-days they often include lunch in town :haha:

He has become a horn hunter for himself, and mostly a mentor to his grandson. It is not unusual for him to see 8-10 legal bucks and never so much as uncase his gun, yet he is as happy as can be when his grandson gets a cow elk :)

On the other hand, I also hunt with Bill, he is a bit younger then I and was a mover when I was. We hunted a modern rifle hunt this last winter and in four days I spent something like 7 hours sleeping. We hunted hogs so there was no "after shooting hours" just hunt till you couldn't anymore.

I did bring a .54 but it got out vary little :redface: the night hunt needed a rifle with a light & the stands we found needed a shot of 100+ yards. I could not make the shot with the .54and it ended up a modern hunt :idunno:

I enjoy both ways of hunting & am bothered by both as well, I am still spry enough that the slower pace starts to chafe at me after a day or so I want to walk fare enough that I can't see the damn truck. While a 12 mile hike with a pack leaves me wanting two Aleve and a hot shower almost more then I want an elk. :idunno:

For the most part, my days of dark-to-dark hunting are over. I now enjoy a nice walk on weekend mornings and am usually home by 11 am...

Having been fat and out of shape for far too many years of being an adult I have now started to LOVE hiking. Got my first wilderness elk a few years ago and packed out 4 quarters. LOVED IT!

As for trophy huntin I think like MS Cynthia, a trophy elk/deer is a deer/elk of any size or sex IN THE FREEZER! I still will shoot a spike out from in front of a six point, too many times waiting for "one more step" that came a as a group at 40 mph and ended with no spike in the freezer :shake:

(dont get me wrong, if the big boy is out front he is welcome to come home too! :grin: )

When hunting I'm all in.
Only day light camp time was first day one season suffering altitude sickness..
Not fun...body did a rest and I was good for the next 10.
Found the scenery to good to waste time in camp.
Love those mountains in the fall.
And like Fred hunting partner's hit it hard too.

Have back packed in during off season..those are good camp time trips..

Back