• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lefties

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint311

54 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, we've had a lot questions about "I'm left handed and the only flintlock I can find is right" type subjects. Well, here's what happened today. I was at a m/l shoot and wouldn't you know it, I broke my ramrod. It never made a cracking noise, but next thing I knew, I had 3 pieces in my hand. No problem, just have to make a new one.

My buddy shoots left hand and offered his extra rifle. A poor boy .40 cal. flint. I was concerned with the venting making me flinch. I found this was not the case at all. Didn't even notice it, to be honest. He said it's because I've been shooting flinters exclusively for about 7-8 years and just got used to it.

No, I didn't do well, until I got used to his rifle (cast-off I found was wrong). I was feeling sorry for myself for not shooting mine :( But I got it working well and had a riot! If you're a lefty (or righty) and can only find/borrow the opposite, GO FOR IT! It's still fun! :thumbsup:

I practice shooting left handed all the time and never found it a problem. Being able to shoot from both sides doubles my hunting area. :thumbsup:

Flint311 said:
...was concerned with the venting making me flinch. I found this was not the case at all. Didn't even notice it, to be honest.

Yes, as a leftie shootin' right flinters, I've been saying that here for years everytime the question comes up!

And like you said, it is the inherent cast to the stock that would be any real barrier to comfort or shootability ....

I've always said that too..but I lie. About every 10th shot ,I react..not quite a flinch, but close to it. When I shoot one of my Lyman lefties, no reaction. Hank

Back