• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left handed flintlock recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MStriebel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to get a full stock flintlock rifle for use in hunting and target shooting. The only left-handed rifle I have been able to find currently made is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. As I have had my heart set on a full stock Pennsylvania style rifle, the Lyman is not really what I want.

Short of spending big bucks on a custom rifle, do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

How do you define "Big Bucks"...???
Everybody has their own definition...without knowing yours, it's pretty hard to provide a suggestion.
FWIW:I'm a lefty also...always looking for the right deal...maybe not the cheapest...in a 40 cal longrifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get what you want, I suspect you are going to have to spend more than the cost of a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. As a rule, used left-handed guns go for less than right-handed but that also depends, like anything else, on who made them and the quality of the workmanship. You can check with Track of the Wolf which has new and used left handed guns from time to time but if you are looking for something in the price range of a Lyman GP then you are probably out of luck.

I don't know what your price range is and what some peoples big bucks are,you are better off getting what you pay for and only pay for it once.
Here is a Late Lancaster lefty you may want to check out.

Absolutely right and TVA makes a very good quality product. The price is certainly reasonable for what it is. I see a lot of folks who buy inexpensive and consequently lower-quality guns for their first muzzle loader and get discouraged by what they have to shoot. Economics being what they are, especially these days, not that many shooters can justify paying $2000 plus for a quality long rifle but sometimes it makes more sense to save up and wait until you can get a better gun so that in the long run you will be content with it. I don't see many posts of the forums complaining about custom guns but I see a lot which talk about issues with mass-produced firearms.

Thanks a lot of the Late Lancaster link at TVA. I think that is about the perfect gun for what I am seeking. I was hoping to stay below $1,000 but the TVA arms are more reasonably priced than what I would have expected for something of that quality.

I'd recommend starting with the GPR. You will gain valuable experience firing and maintaining it, and if you don't like flintlocks longterm, you won't have the 'big bucks' invested in it.

When you DO decide you like to shoot a flintlock more than any other rifle, you can then decide to build your own to your specs, or to have someone make one for you.

I have a lefty .50 flint GPR, and while I do have another lefthanded flint rifle that I prefer to shoot (.54 cal) my GPR is a solid and accurate shooter.

You'll find that the hooked-breech design of the GPR and most Hawken-style rifles makes for much quicker and easier cleaning, too.

Given a do-over, I'd prefer the GPR in .54 cal.

That rifle, listed at $1675, contains about 900 bucks worth of "un-assembled" parts.

TVM (Matt, so as not to confuse with the other TVM) does a pretty fine job of taking that box of parts and chunk of wood and turning it into a very nice rifle quite representative of the given style it's named after.

And they do this minimally at 800-900 dollars "less" than most others out there.

Typically a custom/semi-custom rife will "start" in the 2.5K range and move well up from there.

There is very little "off the shelf" offerings anymore in either left OR right because the market has just got too small.

You could pass a rifle like this down to the next generation and in that light 1600 bucks just isn't that expensive.

The only way you could get what you have said your after in the 1000 dollar range (max) is, as suggested, find a used rifle OR build it yourself.

MStriebel said:
Hi All,

...Short of spending big bucks on a custom rifle, do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Have you considered Catholic School!?

Alden said:
MStriebel said:
Hi All,

...Short of spending big bucks on a custom rifle, do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Have you considered Catholic School!?

Damn now that is funny as hell, and true.
:rotf:

What is worse, I did Catholic school 45 years ago when hitting was encouraged, with Nun's that wacked you with a ruler for using your left hand and still ended up a lefty.

I don't know where you are located but Tip Curtis has some left-handed rifles at his shop ready to walk out the door with somebody. I picked one up when I was there in Feb. If I would have had 1350.00 dollars I would have bought it. .40 caliber 38 inch "A" weight Green Mountain Barrel with a 12 1/2 inch LOP. He usually has 20 to 30 rifles and fowlers ready to go at his shop. Give him a call 1-615-654-4445. or Email at [email protected]. And Btw, the rifle was a lefty and he had 3 or 4 more left handed guns in the racks.

Back