• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"left hand" Northwest trade guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Due to the "1st Time Smoothbore" thread, I was poking around on the Caywood Guns website. I see a few listings for Caywood "left hand" Northwest trade guns.
So now I am just curious, were there a lot of original left hand trade guns built? The question came up yesterday on a mailing list I subscribe to in relation to military arms being right hand only. I'd have thought trade guns would have been similarly produced. Except maybe a special chief's gun? I do not know, but now I am curious.
WJ

Back then left handedness was considered not acceptable. Our word "sinister" originally meant "left handed" and we all know that something "gauche" is not good (gauche is the French word for left). Students had it beat out of them in school and parsons, elders and anyone else wanting to take a swing joined in. The acceptability of left handedness is a very recent thing - my mother, in school in the 20's and 30's was forced to write right handed.

The point being that, except for a VERY few custom made arms, left handed arms weren't produced. All military arms were right handed and you shot it that way.

That being said, I'm left handed and left eye dominant and too old to change!! I'll be looking into buying a left handed smoothie down the road and I already have a southpaw rifle - may not be completely PC, but I DON'T CARE!! ::

The Northwest Gun was sort of the Remington 870 of the 18th and 19th centuries. It was a hardy yet simple gun that could take on any game, didn't require a lot of work, and you didn't mind banging it around a little bit. Not only the indians but whites really liked them because they were reasonably priced (20-25 plews in the 1800s, 10-15 back in the early 1700s, depending on what sort of options that you wanted.)

But, the NW Gun, like the 870, was a production gun. It was a one size fits all--but easily adjusted with the simple flat butt plate--and almost always around 24 gauge. Kinda like a Model T Ford...you can have any color you like, as long as you like black.

If you want a left handed smoothie, I would go with a Chief's Grade, Wilson, or English gaming gun--which is basically the same as the Wilson, only prettier and fancier.

I will give you one other thought: if you are going to carry a left handed english fowler, you might dress the part. No dirty hillbilly would be able to afford a left handed gun.

Another thought--you could make yourself a left handed barn gun. Simply take a NW southpaw kit, leave the butt plate and side plate off and use some washers instead, maybe get a different trigger gaurd, shape the butt into a slight curve, tack some leather to it and voila'!! Kentucky Barn Gun, smoothrifle, whatever, it's a real hillbilly special...and it would be absolutely reasonable for some one to build his own gun left handed if he were a southpaw himself.

But at far as an actual NWTG being a lefty? you don't make production guns with 5% of the popualtion in mind. The same reason that most guns have a 13 3/4 inch pull, to make them accessible to the average.

:m2c: :results:

This is an interesting question here in regards to left handed guns during the trade gun period which encompasses the 17th through the 19th centuries.The major players,the French,English,Dutch and to some degree the Spanish were all sending guns to America prior to the Revolution for gifts,sale,and trading. After the Revolution the British continued to send guns{known as "Carolina Guns"} to Canada and the Americans were selling and trading guns in the United States.The French continued this trade until about 1803, the date of the Louisiana Purchase after which the Americans sent guns to what had been first Spanish and later French territory.These guns were distributed to a wide range of users. The Tulle guns of the French were made under contract with the King until 1741 when Tulle lost it's contract. Prior to that Tulle guns had been distributed to high ranking officials,the Milice,the Compagnies de franches,and other white men. Some,and this is somewhat confusing as to the numbers,were distributed to "the allied Indian Chiefs" and presumably other important Indians as "gifts".Those guns sent over as "trade guns" were manufactured by various manufacturies such as St.Etienne, Maubege,Charleville,and others including various individual makers including many made in Liege,Belgium.Some of these had furnished trade guns prior to the initial contract between Tulle and the Ministry de la Marine in 1691 and continued to do so throughout the trade gun era. By the contract of 1691{which has not been found} the King bought guns exclusively from Tulle but the 1694 contract included "five muskets for the Indian Chiefs".The English were distributing guns to Indians as early as 1699 and between that date and 1716, the English Board of Ordnance purchased 1780 guns. There was a hiatus between 1716 and 1813 but between 1813-1816 26,801 guns were purchased by the Board of Ordnance. A number of these guns,which included pistols,were intended to curry favor with the Indians during the War of 1812 but most of them arrived too late.
You're probably wondering where I'm going. Well here we go.
I'm not sure about the Dutch and Spanish and haven't really gotten into the American gun trade yet so I'll stick to the French and English.Both distributed guns to Indians and the French Ministry de la marine purchased its guns from Tulle until 1741.After 1739 Tulle and St.Etienne abandoned the manufacture of grenadier muskets and I am not sure as to whether the French government continued its practice of gift guns to Indians between 1741 and 1760, the end of the Seven Years War.
Now there were basically two categories of guns,Indian and non-Indian guns.Indian guns were either gifts or were sold by traders.These would have been Tulle guns gifted to Indians by the French or Board of Ordnance guns gifted by the English. All others were trade guns acquired by Indians from traders in the fur or deer hide trade and after 1741 would have included Tulle guns.The acquisition of these guns from traders was not limited to Indians.Many whites bought French fusils de chasse,both ordinaire or fin and these are usually referred to by collectors and students as Bourgeois guns.Tulle guns distributed personnel working for the King,fur traders,the milice and others. Fusil fins or fine guns were given to persons of rank,officers,and the allied Indian chiefs.The English Board of Ordnance guns were distributed only to Indians and I'm not sure which Indians.All other guns were sold or traded by traders to both Indians and Whites and are referred to as "guns" or sometimes ostin the South as "Carolina Guns".
T. M. Hamilton in "Colonial Frontier Guns",PP.60-61 illustrates a left handed fusil fin and stated{as of 1980} that it was the only left handed 18th century gun to be recovered archealogically.I have no doubt that there were left handed guns used in America or that they were used by Indians.I do seriously doubt that these guns were trade guns rather that they were either ordered specifically by a white purchaser, brought over by a White man,or that some trader stocked a left handed[url] gun.In[/url] any event they are almost equal to hen's teeth in rarity.The reason you see Caywood and others offering left handed guns is to satisfy a demand by left handed reenactors and/or shooters like canoe guns,blanket guns, and chopped down Brown Besses and or Charleville carbines.
I hope I haven't confused you too much.
Tom Patton

Last edited by a moderator:
No confusion at all. I figured as much.
I don't need one. I was just curious, after yesterday's discussion on another group about military arms being right hand only and why.
WJ

Hey... I object.... we sinister folks make up 14% of the population, not 5%!! ::

Hey... I object.... we sinister folks make up 14% of the population, not 5%!! ::

Fear Not, for you are right FearNot, but out of that 14%, only 5% shoot muzzleloaders, there-u-go... :redthumb:

It was only 5% not too long ago.

In the more sensible and practical days of old we used to drown the babies that showed left-handed tendencies.

The burning at the stake was too old school even then.

( ::)

Fear Not, for you are right FearNot, but out of that 14%, only 5% shoot muzzleloaders, there-u-go...

Acording to my precise calculations (on my PC abacus, of course) 5% of 14% works out to 7/10 person out of every 100. Therefore, I demand, under our VERY politically-correct-don't-want-to-offend-ANYONE-lest-we-damage-their-self-esteme governmental guidelines that all arms makers be required to product .7 left handed arms for every 100 they turn out - penalties for non-compliance to be determined by the liberal-don't-want-to-offend-the-poor-socially-disadvantaged-criminal-lest-we-damage-their-self-esteme court system. :huh:

Back