• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee round ball mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicioli

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, asking for help choosing the right round ball mold for my .45 cal TC Patriot Pistol to be used with a cloth patch.

I understand there are the .440 and the .445. Which one is the correct one ?

Thanks, regards, Nicioli

It all depends on ball and patch combo fit to barrel.
Measure the bore first before choosing a size.
Most 45 cals will do just fine with a 0.440 and a 0.010 patch.

Hi, asking for help choosing the right round ball mold for my .45 cal TC Patriot Pistol to be used with a cloth patch.

Thanks, regards, Nicioli
If you are worried the .445” may be to large, go with the .440” and adjust patch thickness for the best fit in the bore. I have both mold sizes, but honestly typically use .440” diameter in all my 45s.

Both molds are back in stock at TOF. If you are serious about getting a mold, I would not wait. They had been out stock for some time.
1658074743623.png

One should always measure the bore before buying a mold. Choose a mold that will throw a pure lead ball 0.005" to 0.010" less than the land to land diameter and up to 0.015" smaller for a pistol. The T/C Patriot pistols are notorious for stock breakage when loading too tight of a ball and patch combination. Smaller will be better in my opinion.

As said, trying each size is best way to find what your gun likes. I see from above post that Lee mould prices have gone up substantially. They used to be about $20.00.

At that much for the mold(s), ladle, pot, lead, etc. etc. I wonder what the break even point is. Well, no, I don’t really want to know because even as much as I shoot I am sure I am in the red on most (all) of my molds.

OK folks thanks for all kind answers.I ´ll measure the barrel today but I think I´ll go with Grenadier suggestion of .440. Since this mold will be bought in France by my daughter ( 37 Euro ) I´ll check with the shop if they also stock the .445 size, but I´m afraid I´ll be able to buy just one.
Regards to all, Nicioli

Hi complementing: Just went to the site and they only have the .440 so this will have to do.
The question now regards the size and cloth material of the patch.
I guess linen will be best , what do you think?
Thanks , regards, Nicioli

Thanks, regards, Nicioli
You should be just fine with the 440. Adjusting the patch material is the key and this way you won't be discovering that 445 is too large.

Have fun with it.

Thanks, regards, Nicioli

About a year ago, I bought a secondhand 45 caliber muzzleloader and it came with a mold marked .44 caliber made in Italy. When I casted balls with it, they measured .o451 and weighed 141 grains, So I borrowed a mold from a friend made by Thompson Center and it was marked .44 and that's what the balls came out measuring, and they weighed 128 grs. A friend had gave me another one of those 44 caliber molds made in Italy, as that was for his 45 caliber pistol that he had disposed of, and when I cast some balls, they measured .451. Now the funny thing is, they all shoot good out of that rifle. It's a one in 60 twist, and I was using about .015-.018 patches and it didn't seem to make much difference in how hard they loaded and accuracy was good. I think the one in 60 had a lot to do with that, so if you can find a mold anywhere in that range, it sure worked for me.
Squint

I must have at least a couple dozen Lee molds but there are still 3 or 4 I want to buy eventually. In a pistol I recommend you use the .440" ball. Pistols are a bit more difficult to load and the smaller ball won't cause problems. Try various patches and use the one that works best.

A rifle is a different animal and can tolerate tighter loading. My two most used .45s handle both the .440" and the .445" about the same. For either ball size I use the same patching material that measures .024" compressed. Everything considered I think I prefer the .445" ball.

Hi complementing: Just went to the site and they only have the .440 so this will have to do.
The question now regards the size and cloth material of the patch.
I guess linen will be best , what do you think?
Thanks , regards, Nicioli
Pillow ticking plus .440 ball is what I use for years

Back