• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee Mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiefs50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lee combination roundball/REAL bullet mold for my .50 cal Lyman. The instructions direct you to lubricate the alignment pins, hinge, etc with a Lee Alox/Beeswax product. I don't have any of this on hand. Is there something else I could use to lube the mold? Any of you used another product?

I lube mine with a mixture of beeswax, tallow, and olive oil... same lube I use on minies. I've also used just plain beeswax, and wonder lube works OK also. All of them are messy when they melt on the hot mold, so be sure not to let it run down in the casting cavity, but be sure to use something before you start casting or the mold WILL start getting sticky and seizing... don't ask how I know this... :shake:

M

I use a quality bearing grease like for a heavy duty truck.Don't get carried away a very small amount will do it.You don't want it getting into the mold.You can usually buy this stuff in small amounts in a parts house,better still get a dab from a truck shop.A small amount will last a long time.

If you are going to do any amount at all of bullet casting, I would reccommend you go to your local shooting supply store and buy a stick of bullet lube. It doesn't cost that much, and one stick will last forever. The lubing of the alignment grooves and pins is not just peculiar to LEE molds, but to all molds made of aluminum. I, like Marmot, found out the hard way that lubing LEE molds is something to do faithfully. You WILL get balls with fins if you fail to lube the mold. It becomes more pronounced during longer casting sessions, when the mold has a chance to get really hot over a long period of time. Buy the lube, use it, and have a much more enjoyable casting experience.

Back