• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee-Grant commemoratives?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Does anyone dabble in Colt commemorative pistols? Anyone have the Lee-Grant cased set? Know anything about what has happened to the value over the years?

Spence

Yes, I dabble in the percussion commemorative Colts. Prefer the standard 2nd Generation Colt percussion's and collect those.

Have had several Lee - Grant sets over the years. Very nice quality, Dixon flasks, etc. Currently have a Grant 1851 without any accessories.

Unfortunately not a great investment over the long haul. IIRC they came out in 1971 at $250 for each 1851 Lee or Grant Colt cased set. Currently seem to retail about $500 - $600 unless both sets are together or it is the rare double cased set.

To get more of an idea of current value you might check closed auctions on sites like Gun Broker. Lots of this stuff gets re-listed over and over at high prices without buyers.

Robert an saa fan said:
Prefer the standard 2nd Generation Colt percussion's and collect those.
I've only ever had one set, the first pistols offered when they began remaking the guns, in 1971, and am not familiar with any others. Can you explain what you mean by 2nd generation, please? I seem to recall that Colt issued a string of various pistols over a period of time, but I assumed they were all of the same series.

Currently seem to retail about $500 - $600 unless both sets are together or it is the rare double cased set.
What I have is individually cased Lee and Grant pistols with matching serial numbers. I recall there was a higher cost option for both pistols cased together when they first introduced these guns.

Thanks for the info.

Spence

George said:
Can you explain what you mean by 2nd generation, please? I seem to recall that Colt issued a string of various pistols over a period of time, but I assumed they were all of the same series.

Spence

Your Lee and Grant set are called 2nd Generation by many collectors as are all the standard models and commemorative models sold by Colt from 1971 until discontinued in 1982. Calling them 2nd Generation helps distinguish them from the original production of the 1800's.

About 1993, Lou Imperato (of Henry Repeating Arms fame in New York) began making the ' Colt ' Signature Series or what some folks call the 3rd Generation. The Signature Series was made under license from Colt and was discontinued a few years ago. All very confusing.

The following article by Dennis Adler in Guns and Ammo is very good:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/cap--ball-resurrection

Hope this helps. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert an saa fan said:
Calling them 2nd Generation helps distinguish them from the original production of the 1800's.
Ah, not second generation of replica/remanufacture. I understand.

Thanks for the info and the link.

Spence

Back