• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead pots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked at it,
I'd pass. I'd be afraid the enamel would fracture, possibly violently at a bad time.
Your looking at 700°+ casting temps.
Just a quick glance on ebay under iron pot lists several worthwhile but in the $30-35 range,, it's the shipping that get's ya!
You can get the RCBS Lead Pot for 27.99

You can get a Lodge LMP3 Cast Iron Melting Pot, Pre-Seasoned, 15-Ounce for $16.00 on Amazon.

Even Walmart carries lodge.

Now before anyone thinks that a 15 ounce pot won't hold much lead, remember that is a fluid ounce measurement and equates to 11 pounds of lead.

I promise I won't get the cheap chip pan. The French trappers didn't, I'd bet.

At first glance French type sauces came to mind. I'm not a fancy cook but it would look good on the stove. A gift to the wife?

I have a tiny iron cauldron that holds about a pint....and I decided to use it for melting lead and demonstrating making bullets. So it's about 3/5th full of lead.

That was a dumb idea....,

Using the iron pot is fine, but melting that much lead into it wasn't, because it takes a lot of fuel and time over a fire, to heat all that lead up to get it ready to mold ball. :shake:

So one of the things I'm going to do next month, is melt it up, and cast a bunch of rough ingots, and in the future I will use the pot but no more than a pound will be melted within, and perhaps less if I'm running rifle ball instead of musket ball. :wink:

LD

If you are serious about casting a significant quantity of quality bullets, get the larger LEE bottom pour pot and a Lyman lead thermometer.

Rifleman1776 said:
Sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only one here that occasionally prowls antique shops and flea markets. You can find cast iron stuff galore at them.

Trouble is when I have seen these things in the thrift stores (don't usually do flea markets) they are overpriced. Thrift stores I go to discovered what new costs and figured the used stuff was worth the same price.

Scota4570 said:
If you are serious about casting a significant quantity of quality bullets, get the larger LEE bottom pour pot and a Lyman lead thermometer.

Yes. Those Lee bottom pour pots will do things you never thought about. :doh:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr329/Rifleman1776/Leepot-1.jpg

Having trouble posting pic. Blame Photoshop.
Seriously, stay away from the Lee bottom pour. Get a Lyman dipper and regular Lee pot instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem with Lodge, which I love for cooking, is you still need a heat source. That's when I started comparing pots from various manufactures.
Right there will start arguments over dipping or bottom pour. Arguments as bad as asking what is the best lube for prb. So I made the choice that worked best for me, a Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace. Don't need but 400 or so ball a year, great reviews, or good enough. Found the best deal I could on Ebay including shipping. Then, because I unloaded a lot of things hanging around my house on Ebay, I used a $15 off coupon from them as well.
Bottom line, I just got a nice, new Lyman casting furnace for $28 shipped. :grin:
Pays to look around. :thumbsup:

I love thrift stores and yard sales. Some thrift stores aren't too bad. I have a local one that has good prices and they don't put out junk. They keep their store clean too. Garage sales usually are a better buy. If you can find an old rusty pot, most people won't want it so it goes for cheap. Still works fine for lead.

I've found stuff at garage sales, flea markets, auctions, antique and thrift stores....Even the local junk yard. Some people are over priced, but you can't find if you don't look.

I’ve been using bottom pour pots about 40 years with no problems that occasional maintenance and proper attention won’t handle. Yep, sometimes upon heating up they leak so be observant and have a screwdriver handy to twist the rod. About every new year I empty the pot, disassemble it and clean w a round wire brush on a drill.

I have a “Hot Pot” I use for 550 gr minies to move more lead faster. I quit dipping when I got my first bottom pour. No regrets.

Been using a bottom pour for 30 years...Wouldn't use anything else....
Where a cast iron pot comes in handy is cleaning lead and making alloys and ingots.

My lee bottom pour sits under my bench and collect dust, ever since I got my Waage pot.

Much better even temperature control.

Hard to get excited over a lead pot, but the Waage is great.

Fleener

My Lee 10 pound bottom pour worked for over 15 years no problem. Be smarter than the pot. I fit the stem and then kept a Lyman ingot mould under it who cares about a few drops.

Cast over 100K .500 balls and many Minnie's from it.

Any bottom pour pot can leak. The screw driver slot in the valve rod is there to help you to make it stop when it drips. Use it. Walking away and letting it spew is not a good plan.

I find that the ability to pressure cast is necessary for some bullets, especially larger more complex ones. Minie balls for instance. Recently I was given a bunch that were commercially cast. Every one had a void in the base. Every one was scrap. They were probably cast with a dipper. The ones I cast using my large lee pot were about 90% good. I pressure cast them and give a good 10-count against he spout after it is filled. That allows molten lead to be sucked in to the bullet as it cools and shrinks. The lead under pressure fills the mold more completely.

If you are casting smaller balls you can probably do just fine with a camp stove an old soup spoon.

IF you care about consistency and quality you may want better. I no longer have the patience to make do with improvised equipment. The big Lee works pretty well for me. I do not shoot bullets that have visible imperfections or don't make weight. Dipping has never given me as good or as consistent results as bottom pour.

Before we start making sweeping generalizations, the alloy makes a big difference. Pure lead and wheel weights are both difficult to cast perfect bullets. Linotype casts perfect little jewels very easily. For pure lead I have never had consistent results with a dipper.

That my experience over 40 years of casting. I have owned half a dozen lee pots. Your mileage may vary.

Back