• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lancaster repaired

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickjf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got my Lancaster repaired after cracking the wrist. Chuck Hinkle of Dallas area repaired it he is a master gun maker. He is rhe closest to my area (350) miles. Hw did a great job. Just reporting.

697fc5a74377daaea5fb4f71fd303ccb.jpg

1858e17bdb199ba699f56e26ff323cf3.jpg

58255e87adc7c70de62c2d0366590475.jpg

e4fdff2be0b2b7210672ba2290278092.jpg

Do you have any before and after pictures?. It would help folks to see the results of the fix.

Click on the pictures to make them bigger. The first picture is a "Before" picture and there are a bunch of other pictures in the series that the link takes you to that show the crack real well.

From all appearances he did a great job, can't see the join in the pictures, can you see it with the naked eye?

Nice series of pictures. It seems that it cracked right along the grain line, due to runout.

How did the crack happen in the first place?

Question; does the gun have a tang bolt running all the way through it, (anchoring the tang and the trigger plate as 1 solid unit) or was it done with just have a wood screw holding the tang down?

It has a long tang bolt that kept it from coming apart. I took it from a closet and struck the stock on the door. It was being stored in a closet near a central heating unit. I think the wood expanded and shrank. I made a poor choice in storage. I. Plan to store it in a neutral closet barrel down.

I don't know. I am being extra careful. I don't know the glue. It was a two part but not epoxy. Apparently very strong. There are no hidden pins ets to make it work.

So it sounds like it was the actual shrinking of the wood that pulled it apart? You would think that in an instance like that, that the top of the tang bolt would just loosen up a bit and make its' way out the top of the tang.

There was enough shifting that the trigger guard was bent. The whole thing had pulled away. The tang bolt remained tight.

newhunter said:
I don't know. I am being extra careful. I don't know the glue. It was a two part but not epoxy. Apparently very strong. There are no hidden pins ets to make it work.

I would call the smith and ask how much it can be subjected to. It would be a shame to have a fragile gun that you can't shoot for fear of it breaking again.

The time I first saw that break my heart sank. I still feel as if I lost a treasure. It was like having damage to a great painting. No repair can make it whole. However Chuck Hinkle did a master job. He is a master gun maker. He still makes guns but mostly he is retired.

Where I live in west Texas those skills are rare. Mr Hinkle lives in the Dallas are 350 miles east. I could not find another closer. I am sure there are gun makers around most I have seen are east of the Mississippi . I had some gun smiths and hobbiest tell me how to fix it or offer to repair, but I am glad I waited.

Thank you, I would drive 500 miles to get that fixed, but 350 is a good days driving though. Glad you was able to get a master builder to fix it for you!

He did a fine job! If it was a two part "glue" I do think it was some sort of epoxy but it does not matter because he did a fine job. You need to find a netural ambient stable area in your house to store it for the future :v

I sincerely hope I am not hijacking this thread but I've been wondering if storing my rifles inside a safe with a goldenrod is smart. Would the heat from the goldenrod dry out the wood and cause damage such as this beautiful rifle endured?

I live in Arizona which is not known for much humidity, should I just skip the rod?

Hope this question is related enough to keep me out of trouble here........

Back