• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lace-on leather butt-stock boot ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what it's called...but I want to find/buy one of those thin leather boots or sleeves that slip onto the last few inches of the buttstock on a muzzleloader...usually have a lace-up feature along the bottom...have seen some that have a little fringe along the edge.

Does anybody know of any company or anybody who makes one commercially?

If not, does anybody know of a paper pattern / instructions that might exist for one?

Worse case by trial and error I can probably stumble through making one but I'm not the handiest at those things...thanks

They are usually with a sling, you just want the boot part? Hell I can probably make ya one outa some nice Elk leather if you know exactly what you want.

Swamp Rat said:
They are usually with a sling, you just want the boot part? Hell I can probably make ya one outa some nice Elk leather if you know exactly what you want.

That might be tough not having precise dimensions or the ML in front of you but I appreciate the offer.

The reason I want to get one is that I've got a .62cal GM Flint smoothbore drop in barrel on a TC Hawken stock that I want to use on a couple dove shoots.

To avoid the occasional mis-mount with that curved Hawken buttplate I'm going to use one of those common, non-slip 'shotgun style' rubber recoil pads that slides onto a stock...it also gives me another inch LOP which will be perfect.

So I want to put a lace-up "slip-cover" over that whole rubber recoil pad thing...has to be a very thin piece of leather, actually like suede, to avoid building the stock out even further as it will be going over the top of the rubber which will have already thickened the stock in that area.

Somebody somewhere is bound to make a universal one, maybe not...I'm going to start hitting the BP sites on the Internet tonight and if I stumble across a photo of one I'll post it.

Bill, I think I have a pattern for one someplace. And if I cannot find it & you want to make one, I have the one I took off a GPR I sold & it should fit the Hawken like yours. In fact, I have a Hawken here & can try it If it works OK, I can send it to you & you can copy it.

The first one I had came from Cains or someplace like that, but it was really flimsy stuff & I was not comfortable with it, so I used that as a pattern & made my own out of some thicker distressed leather.

Keith

PS: On mine the friont I put theu a sling mount I madt for the rifle, the otiginal was for a longrifle & it just looped over the barrel. But when you see it you can see it is easy to modify.

Swamp Rat said:
October Country has one I think and Dixie probably does too. Look under "slings".
Right...those are not quite what I have in mind...I have an idea that should make this clear...please stay tuned.

roundball they are called but cuffs, why not make one yourself they are not hard to make that way you can make it to fit your butstock properly. the
ones premaid do not fit a curved but.heres a pick of one i made.
bernie :thumbsup:
100_4151.jpg

This is the slip on recoil pad I'm using.

Now just imagine a thin suede leather boot shaped exactly like this recoil pad...that will slide on from rear...and have lacing & fringe along the bottom edge.

Just a little traditional oriented touch that will fit like a second skin over the rubber boot.

RecoilPad-Pachmayr02306.gif

Birddog6 said:
Bill, I think I have a pattern for one someplace. And if I cannot find it & you want to make one, I have the one I took off a GPR I sold & it should fit the Hawken like yours. In fact, I have a Hawken here & can try it If it works OK, I can send it to you & you can copy it.
Just so I'm explaining this OK, it's not a sling boot I'm looking for...and it would have to fit over a recoil pad on the Hawken, not just the Hawken stock by itself.

The back of the recoil pad has a flat shotgun butt shape to it so that'll make it easier to fashion one.

See the photo of the recoil pad I just posted...

That's the idea I'm getting at...now imagine that is tan or brown with a lace up under the bottom edge and 3-4" of fringe hanging[url] down...gettin[/url]' close :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
"A picture is worth a thousand words...the power of the Internet is just incredible.

Now all the elements of what I'm after are coming together...the only thing missing is the fringe underneath.

I noticed that the eyelets on the Brownell's item "look" silver, but the text says they're brass...maybe it's the lighting in the photo...anyhow the brass eyelets would tie right in with the Hawken brass furniture.

Wish the Brownells item was a little less harsh / modern looking, a little more of a softer suede look...it's almost too perfect looking...maybe I could distress it a little, age it a little...

If this is what you are looking for, it came from Cabala's I think, in the Cowboy shooting stuff. You can lace in some fringe as you lace it up. Problem is it will not fit the curvature of your buttplate unless you cut a spacer & fill the curve.

RecoilPad.jpg

Thanks, I'll go look at that one too, compare it's dimensions, etc.

The slip-on rubber recoil pad that will be underneath it has a flat backside so the Hawken curve will have already been eliminated.

Thanks...

(PS: what happened to your Frizzen...did it fall off or something?)
:grin:

Well, to my surprise, not only did I finish making a thin suede leather boot to completely cover the rubber recoil pad...it actually turned out decent looking, I put the rough texture side of the leather out for a sort of rough look, and even had 2.5" fringe along the bottom.
:hatsoff:

Then I got out the .62cal Hawken stock that I wanted to put it on, slid one of the Hawken curved butt plate ends into it and got stopped dead in my tracks.
:shocked2:

I had created this "form fitting" masterpiece by using epoxy to glue it to the surface of the rubber recoil pad....WHICH NORMALLY HAS TO "STRETCH" TO FIT OVER BOTH OF THE CURVED ENDS OF THE HAWKEN BUTT PLATE !!!!!!
:redface:

I wasted a recoil pad, a nice little piece of leather, and two double syringe-pacs of epoxy, a couple hours of my time, and wound up with a useless butt-cuff covered recoil pad that I was right proud of but can't use.
:(

At least I now have a TOTAL appreciation of the "Lace-On Design Feature" of most butt-cuffs and now that I think about it the one from Brownell's doesn't look all that modern after all
:grin:

You can start all over & after 7-8-9 test models, you will succeed ! :thumbsup:

Go to the hardware & get a small can of Contact Cement to glue the leater, as it will strech & give a little. Epoxy dries hard & wwon't let the leather or foam move. Follow the directions on the contact cement. You apply it to both sides being glued, let it dry til it is almost tackless, then CAREFULLY put the pieces together & they are stuck for sure. I usually beat it with a rubber malleyt at this point.

Keith

Back