• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I made this sheath from cow hide and it has a welt and belt loop on back
DSC00889.jpg
[/img]
DSC00890-1.jpg
[/img]

Looks good, the only thing different I woulda done was use a saddle stitch and made a few back stitches to hold the thread tight. That would elimate the knot at the top.

My sheaths have improved to this degree but my sewing end needs work I need to practice on some scrap pcs

Nothing wrong at all with the design of that sheath, looks really good and I bet holds that knife nice and tight. Try the saddle stitch on your next one, I'm sure you'll be glad you did. :thumbsup:

Lhunter, nice sheath and you should be proud of that one. Go with Swampy's advice using the saddle stitch on the next one.

Looks tight and right to me! :thumbsup:

The heightened level of 'stitch' awareness in evidence invites a question: Has anyone used a 'speedy stitcher' for sheath/leather work; are the results desireable?
Longshot

I made sheath today for another knife and used the saddle stich after a practice session. I was pleased for the most part looks better I'll post a new topic and pics tomorrow

I took a pic this am of the new sheath trying out the saddle stitch let me know what you think
DSC00892.jpg
[/img]

Yes it does, and thanks for your ideas and support. For being a self taught dummy not a bad job I fig . Now to have the time and energy to try making some more knives, think I will try to re-stitch the other one I messed up :v

it aint messed up, and you can just stitch over the old stitches to make it look like a saddle stitch... :haha: :thumbsup:

hey Roy, if he stitches over the other stitches, it will be a saddle stitch. That's how you have to do it if you only have one needle. Acually it may be faster than having to change needles constantly. May not pull up as even though. I may have to try that.
Good work L. We advance, one step at a time.

I have done leather work for 30+ years and yes I have tried the speedy stitcher, I much prefer the saddle stitch.

Whitebear-
Was it the appearance or the integrity of the stitch that turned you off?
I appreciate the feedback; thanks.

I like that it's very consise and neat. :thumbsup:
I have a overstitch that I use to lay out with and it works well on some leather especially veg-tanned. I have some leather I am using now it will take the overstitch well and before I can get from one end to the other I can no longer see where to put my awl. I have tried it wet and dry dosen't matter. I suspect its the leather it's self that is the culprit, although I do like the finish product.
Longshot, once you try the saddle stitch and get the two needles down, it's twice as fast as a speedy stitcher. I've got one but once I tried the saddle stitch and figured out what I was doing I don't think I have used it but a couple of times and that was because I could use it to stab the thread through an area where I forgot to stitch with the saddle stitch. I didn't have to fight to get my hands into that area and turn the needle.

Back