• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kids moving out..... eventually

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! That’s the kind of info I was fishin for! Yes, local laws trump, but I’m friends of the local sheriff and will ask him pertinent questions next time I see him at church. My oldest boy (Colton Samuel) will be getting a ‘60 Army .44–of course. I have a ‘58 Rem already. I’ll be considering the sawed off BP shotgun as well. My daughter will get one loaded with “pig lead” fluxed with bacon grease... for the Muslim boys around here.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :) (about any percussion firearm, not the muslims)

Maybe another thought to consider: would these young people be able to cope mentally with potentially killing an intruder? Personally, I keep bear spray at hand for an intruder. Not necessarily the best choice, but it’s one that I can live with.

Maybe another thought to consider: would these young people be able to cope mentally with potentially killing an intruder? Personally, I keep bear spray at hand for an intruder. Not necessarily the best choice, but it’s one that I can live with.
Yes on the bear spray. Those are nasty and put out a lot of deterrent power. Do not bother with the wimpy little pepper spray cans.

I can only assume your from Idaho looking at your info, if that’s the case and your kids are in the same state apparently from just a quick search your in an open carry state where at 18 your legal to carry, check your laws to be sure, self defense and the life of our kids/grandkids is serious business, just my opinion but if you want to keep your kids safe and alive I’d toss the whole black powder, bear spray bs and get them involved with a real weapon, some training and range time, the bad guys ain’t commin with bear spray and feelings of remorse, sad but true, it sucks in the real world.

Maybe another thought to consider: would these young people be able to cope mentally with potentially killing an intruder?.

They learned my mentality about that. If someone chooses to invade my home, they chose to get shot. I’m just ablijing their choice.

The other question is, would they be able to live with the choice not to? I live in a college town full of Muslims, and have a couple beautiful daughters. It’s their choice to shoot or not. My obligation is to ensure they have a choice.

I’m not going to get into a modern firearms discussion here, for one its against the rules and two,I come here to get away from the modern stuff, I have two grand daughters, the oldest is ten,mature for her age, I have her shooting a Glock g42 with my supervision, there will be no flare gun,bear spray, hockey pucks or whatever in her self defense future.

Good fo you Dave! I’m a big believer in that. My girls shoot my guns too, all my kids do. Takes the novelty of them in the house away. Teaches them how to not shoot themself or others accidentally too. Their first lesson with each is to identify weather or not they’re loaded. The leagality of under 21 possession is the issue. If a BP revolver is legal to possess, then that’s what they’ll have....though not nessesarily the only one they have. Up to this idea of the BP revolver, I figured they’ll probly have the one I left there accidentally that just accidentally happened to be there when they needed it...by some accidental coincidence.

Gentlemen,
Didn’t mean to cause a ruckus over bear spray vs guns, etc. I raised 2 daughters and a son. Youngest is now 37. I taught them all about guns, shooting, hunting and all had plenty of shooting experience. I also taught them about self defense. At this point, the decision is up to them as to what method they choose, but at least they know about what’s available for personal defense.
Apparently, many of you are not familiar with the better bear spray products. Not the little canisters of pepper spray, but actual bear spray. That stuff will stop a charging 1000 pound grizzly, so I’m pretty sure it will stop a 180 pound thug.
Knowing the mentality of over zealous prosecuting attorneys, it’s likely anyone using bear spray won’t face murder, attempted murder or man slaughter charges as perhaps someone shooting an intruder would.
As a disclaimer, this is just my opinion about my choice, I’m not stating this should be everyone’s choice.

As a disclaimer, this is just my opinion about my choice, I’m not stating this should be everyone’s choice.

Though I don’t agree I do respect your choices and at least for now we’re all free to protect ourselves as we see necessary, as a disclaimer I’ve never been hit with bear spray but I have had the pleasure of being hit with pepper spray and tear gas, while extremely uncomfortable it’s not totally incapacitating to everyone, and to someone under the influence of some drugs it’s merely a source of added aggravation, and also it’s just my opinion but I’d rather have to hire a lawyer than pay for a funeral any day.

Ever get sprayed in the face with Lysol ? Ill take pepper spray any day of the week. (dont ask...)
I thought about foaming Wasp spray as well. But not about to test it.

Oh yes. The sound of a pump shotgun. Its the sound that everyone knows, even if you've never heard it.

Tp 54, rack he!! set her up in a cruiser ready position just jam the slide forward and go to work, a pump shot gun and 00 ought is a force to be reckoned with. As much as I shoot black powder firearms I would never settle on a black powder firearm for a home invasion. When it gets to that point I am not going to warn anyone.

My Dad used to own a bar, he used a disk blade as a door stop for the back door. At night he'd push it aside with his foot to lock the back door. Just the sound of the disk blade sliding across the cement floor sounded just like a pump shotgun being racked. You should have seen the drunks running out the front door.
Point is just the sound of a shotgun or revolver being cocked does have a pyschological effect. But some judges frown on any firearm being used, loaded or unloaded. But I'll risk it, mine is loaded.

Tb54, I am with Dave 61965 on this one. These are your kids, having to defend their lives, in their home, against an invader. They are not going to be called to account for what kind of gun they used unless you live in one of the People's Republiks...and Idaho does not qualify.

Skipping the whole off-topic discussion of firearms types, give them what they can use effectively. I have recounted here more than once how I started my daughters off on revolvers when they were in the single digits. As they grew, I let them know about life's uglier side. I told them that when they left Home, they should be able to love, and they should be able to kill - and if they couldn't, then I had failed them as a Father. A gun may not always be at hand, but you are never beyond reach of some kind of weapon.

Every day of their lives they put love into the world, but woe to anyone who would try to visit evil upon them or their loved ones.

Richard/Grumpa

Exactly my process. I’ve tought them to throw a punch, an elbow, gouge eyes, see a pencil as a weapon... etc.

My thought was simply a pistol they can legally possess, that can assist them to get to the shotgun / long gun they can legally possess before they’re 21.

This caught my eye for that purpose too. Anyone own one?

Attachments

• 655EDC63-EA7C-4192-9616-399FD5DB08E2.png
    655EDC63-EA7C-4192-9616-399FD5DB08E2.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 60
No experience with it, but I would think it would kick much worse than any magnum revolver. The likelihood of a second, meaningful shot would be low. It has a menacing appearance, but I don't want to count on "appearance" in a deadly situation.

Richard/Grumpa

True, but being a muzzelloading shotgun, it could be custom loaded to a comfortable recoil, yet effective charge, and being it uses 209 primers, it could be reliable. If nothing else, it could be an awesome sidearm for grouse.

I might be talking myself into getting one.

I don't think it would be very effective for grouse, maybe better for woodcock. It might be a fun gun to "play" with - which is all the reason needed to buy one if it appeals to you.

Richard/Grumpa

Latest posts

Back