• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler progress....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrat

40 Cal
Reaction score
Still chugging away at it. I inlayed a brass band at the muzzle tip, finished the brass & steel engraving, french grayed the barrel and trying to finish the woodwork. Saved the hard part for last, Ha. If I can get thru the finishing steps on woodworking, scrapping, sanding and staining without any mistakes I'll be a happy camper. Here are some pictures, the barrel is covered with oil and there's alot of lint from the hand towels.......

Attachments

• 20211027_193047.jpg
    20211027_193047.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 147
  • 20211027_192720.jpg
    20211027_192720.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 20211027_192739.jpg
    20211027_192739.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 20211027_192816.jpg
    20211027_192816.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 20211027_193147.jpg
    20211027_193147.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 20211027_193204.jpg
    20211027_193204.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20211027_193231.jpg
    20211027_193231.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Very nice. I like your later Lehigh style inlay of a person, it came out very well.
And the tiny spiderweb on the side plate is an interesting tidbit. Have you seen one mixed into longrifle engraving before? Regardless, it looks good there.

Yes this is my first kit build and introduction to muzzle loaders. I love firearms and target shooting but never thought about having a flintlock let alone build one. I just jumped in and prayed for a good outcome. No woodwork experience and is my biggest challenge. Engraving I have done for years as a hobby. Looking at pictures I haven't seen the spider web on flintlocks. My engraving is not period correct and my style is American scrolls of L.D. Nimschke & Gustave . I have never done commission work or signed my work other than father or grandpa. I will think about it if the work is kept small and no hard labor is involved. I see that there is a need for it... Thank You all for your kind words and is most appreciated..........Labrat

Yes this is my first kit build and introduction to muzzle loaders. I love firearms and target shooting but never thought about having a flintlock let alone build one. I just jumped in and prayed for a good outcome. No woodwork experience and is my biggest challenge. Engraving I have done for years as a hobby. Looking at pictures I haven't seen the spider web on flintlocks. My engraving is not period correct and my style is American scrolls of L.D. Nimschke & Gustave . I have never done commission work or signed my work other than father or grandpa. I will think about it if the work is kept small and no hard labor is involved. I see that there is a need for it... Thank You all for your kind words and is most appreciated..........Labrat
After looking at your work I think there is definitely a niche for you to take on work! Beautiful!

Wow! You are a master craftsman. If I can ask, is all your woodwork done with wood carving chisels or do you use other tools? I was thinking I might inlay maybe a 1/2" wide a silver band on my hawk but not sure what tool I would use to do that? Any suggestions would be appreciated. FP

Hi FP, I really have no experience in woodworking. I learned by watching UTube and following woodworkers like on this website. I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't afford good tools so I use a cheap set of gouges from China. I just have to keep them sharp and alot of stropping. I have more time than money, Ha. Now if you are talking about inlaying a silver band into steel, yes there is some very special tools needed to complete that task along with alot of practice. Utube has a few videos on that......Thanks for your kind words...........Labrat

Back