• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m considering taking advantage of the Kibler “free shipping sale. I really don’t have the time to dedicate to the build right now so If I buy a kit, can I store it for a few months before I start the build? Any harm to the wood, etc? Thx, E..

I cant imagine any harm would come to the wood, just don't leave it in a garage or something. Just stick it behind your bedroom door or some other conditioned space.

I would not leave the kit untouched. I would get the barrel inlet into the stock. there was another member here a while back that left the kit untouched for a few months and the forearm warped due to changes in humidity. once the barrel is in it can sit.

I would put the barrel in. You don’t have to pin it. You could put the trigger plate in, the tang bolt and use a plastic tie or two.

I bought a second hand Kibler kit in the box, the previous owner had taken it out of the box put the barrel in the channel and later removed the barrel the wrong way and cracked the stock which was easy to repair.

The kit had been set up for a long time, I had no way of knowing what kind of environment it had been in. When I ran a patch down the barrel it had a rust line on one side like moisture had accumulated in narrow spot the full length of the barrel. The rust was superficial, I scrubbed it out with a scotch bright patch. My thinking is the barrel should have had a coat of RIG in the barrel, it was a Rice barrel, perhaps it did and the first owner ran patch with some unknown substance on it down the barrel and removed it.

I ordered a Kibler lock that developed a rusty spot rather quickly on the back of the frizzen while I had it stored in my shop. Probably a spot that was missed when the exterior of the lock was lubed, the rest of the lock looked like a finely made Swiss lock, no rust or corrosion.

My point is; to be on the safe side go over all your gun parts and put some oil on them before you store your kit, run an oily patch down the bore, I use 30W motor oil. Don't take it for granted that all of the parts were perfectly protected prior to shipping, sometimes stuff gets missed.

Keep it like it's shipped. It will do fine the closet for years/decades. It'll keep.

Back