• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. I ordered some tannic acid with my kit but I'm debating whether to use it or just go with the iron nitrate.
The tannic acid is the very first thing you use, if you have any figure in your wood, it really makes it pop (darker and more defined) then follow that with your iron nitrate then the heat gun. Jim Kibler has some great YouTube videos on doing this very traditional and authentic finish on rifles

Yeah, I've watched his videos and understand the process. I'm just trying to decide if I like the darker finish using both tannic acid and iron nitrate or if I want to go with just the iron nitrate. I ordered the extra fancy maple so it should have plenty of figure and I'm not sure if darkening it up will hide it. I might do some experimenting inside the patch box or barrel channel before making a final decision.

The tannic acid is the very first thing you use, if you have any figure in your wood, it really makes it pop (darker and more defined) then follow that with your iron nitrate then the heat gun. Jim Kibler has some great YouTube videos on doing this very traditional and authentic finish on rifles

I've actually used a similar homemade finish on wood furniture before. I used very strong tea followed by steel wool dissolved in vinegar to finish a bathroom vanity I built a few years back. It makes for a nice finish once you give it a coat or two of furniture wax.

Latest posts

Back