• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler colonial rifle kit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 54 for a winter project but I keep tinker with it and I think it’s going to be done ahead of schedule

I recently built a Kibler Colonial. I have 2 interchangeable barrels for it, a 50 and a 58. I really like the balance and weight(8.5#) of the 58 cal. Both barrels are exceptionally accurate, Jim makes a superb kit!
A3C8ED23-AA7E-421D-936A-4C0949073A7E.jpeg

Just finished this one a few weeks back. The 50 is the heaviest in the colonial but the balance is awesome. The weight is not a problem for me. The problem I have is the length of pull. It is really long for me to use.
20201126_080125.jpg

I bought one in .54 after trying three of them and I love it. .50,.54, .58 The .50 seemed very heavy for me but the fellow that owns it loves it.

Just finished this one a few weeks back. The 50 is the heaviest in the colonial but the balance is awesome. The weight is not a problem for me. The problem I have is the length of pull. It is really long for me to use. View attachment 53558
What color and brand of stain did you use? Also, how did you finish your metal parts? Did you leave the lock in the white?

I ask because I've got one on order from Jim, only it's being shipped "in the white." I would love for it to turn out exactly like yours when I finish the barrel and stain the stock. I bought a bottle of stain from Laurel Mountain Forge in Lancaster Maple, but when I tested it on some scrap pieces of molding (probably poplar) it seems much lighter than what I was hoping.

@GAHUNTER60, Did you try only one coat of stain? Often you need several coats of stain to get the desired level of color that you want. This method also allows you to smooth down the whiskers that pop up during stain and to even the color out over the entire gun.

What color and brand of stain did you use? Also, how did you finish your metal parts? Did you leave the lock in the white?

I ask because I've got one on order from Jim, only it's being shipped "in the white." I would love for it to turn out exactly like yours when I finish the barrel and stain the stock. I bought a bottle of stain from Laurel Mountain Forge in Lancaster Maple, but when I tested it on some scrap pieces of molding (probably poplar) it seems much lighter than what I was hoping.
All the finishing supplies came from Jim's shop. Iron nitrate and his sealer. Sealer was mixed with a bit of bone black in a few areas. All the metal (brass and steel) was wiped with Jim's brass tarnish solution.

Has anyone built one of Jim Kiblers Colonial Rifle kits? I am the about ordering one in 50 caliber.
I'm building a .54 smooth rifle, great kit! I'm trying my hand at carving, first cut is the hardest!
I'm finishing mine with aquafortis and then go over it with a micro torch, done it in the past, gives a beautiful redish brown .

I am working on a .58 cal. kit right now. Plan on finishing it in the Christian Springs/ Moravian style.
Just received an Andy Thomas .54 cal. rifle modified from a Kibler kit in to a Virginia style. A handsome rifle, but a bit heavier than the .58.

Roofing tar and mineral spirits will give you a dark finish like Art's.
The process was identical to the one outlined in Jim’s video series using both aquafortis and tannic acid to form iron tannate, both chemicals from from Kibler, except, I used TOTW’s Original Oil for the rubbing step, and final finish.

Last edited:
Back