• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial Brass Patch Box Cover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a search here in the "Bench" forum and found nothing on this topic: I was wondering if anyone here built a Kibler Colonial and replaced the wooden patch box cover with their own brass patch box cover?

I did this on a Chambers York 50 cal. Easy task, except for the complicated inletting work and the latch work. (Lancaster Co. style ornate box)

I did this on a Chambers York 50 cal. Easy task, except for the complicated inletting work and the latch work. (Lancaster Co. style ornate box)
Did you frabricate your brass cover yourself or did you order one from somewhere? The inletting I can do; the metal work is another question. It would be my first effort to do that.

Did a search here in the "Bench" forum and found nothing on this topic: I was wondering if anyone here built a Kibler Colonial and replaced the wooden patch box cover with their own brass patch box cover?
I have,
The patch box was from Chambers. Kibler made me a stock with no patch box cut out. I made the cut out using a milling machine. The release is the button in the top of the butplate.

Attachments

• KIBMPB.JPG
    KIBMPB.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Not a Colonial, but a Woodsrunner. To me the WR has Berks county style to it, so I'm doing (attempting) mine to somewhat mimic a Jacob George. I filed a piece of brass to fit the dovetail in the buttplate, and soldered it in. Then cut the finial to kind of match the picture in the "Berks County Longrifle" book, gun #23, and inlet into the stock. I plan on glueing a piece of wood against the butt plate to fill in the notch and dovetail there. I just wanted it to be different than everyone else's.

Attachments

• 20240301_061636.jpg
    20240301_061636.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240301_060703.jpg
    20240301_060703.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240301_060740.jpg
    20240301_060740.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_130137.jpg
    20240210_130137.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240220_180301.jpg
    20240220_180301.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wiscoaster, I may have gotten my PB from Chambers before they had the domed lid model. I just don't remember 25 yrs ago. It could have come from Track, or less likely Pec River.

I'm working on one now. There are several tutorials on making brass patchboxes on line and in several books. Not hard to do. I filled the dovetail on the buttpiece with a brass "plug", silver soldered into place. Check out flint rifle smith's page, for some info on domed boxes. Bill Rabe has a couple of series, on Rumble, on scratch building, in which he demonstrates making a patch box, but you might have to wade through a few videos to find them. A search on "flintlock rifle building," there should bring up his page.

Latest posts

Back