• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kentucky windadge on colt revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irataylor

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My 51 navy colt "c series" 2nd gen revolver shoots 16 inches high at 25 yards. How do you hold that low for target shooting? I am thinking of getting a remington dovetail sight from DGW and having a gunsmith replace the bead sight. Any thoughts on the pros/cons?

how about swicthing out the front site to a longer front site the are easily removed, that way once it starts shooting low, you can file the site dowm to were you would like it to print on paper, after you do that I can tell you how to adjust for windage. kjg

How is the front site (brass bead) attached? Where are higher sights available? How do you attach them?

the colt navy is a brass bead not like the 60 army.

Otherwise I am getting good groups, around 2 inch groups at 25 yards. I believe I can better this as I work on the load variables.

The front sight is either pressed in or threaded. I've seen both........Have your gunsmith install a higher front sight made from a brazing rod and file it down as needed...............Bob

the front site can be pulle out useing pliers grasping the site and pulling gentily it can be pulled freely, and also as stated are screwed in usally on older models and I have found some dremel tools cutting accessories shanks are just about the right thickness and can be tapped in, then just file down and your good to go. kjg

Other than changing your powder charges, changing the front bead sight would be the best. I have an old Italian made 1851 Navy. The front bead on that was too low. I pulled it out. I found myself a brass screw and cut the head off. Then I filed a pin on what was going to be the base of the new sight. I put the screw in the drill press and filed it to a conical shape that was taller than the original sight. The new sight was fixed to the barrel with a small dab of epoxy and pressed into place. I used a couple of pieces of wood covering the jaws of my vise to press the sight down and not marr the finish. At the range I filed the sight down to where I wanted it to be. The thing shoots fine and hits where I point it. It's been on the barrel for thirty years or more. It is and was a good, cheap, solid fix. :hmm:

As for fixed sights, elevation is about the only thing you will be able to change. The windage is another story... Hold left or right.

You can put a small dovetail in the barrel and set a new front sight in it. This can be done even to a round barrel and will give you all the windage adjustment you need.

Fot the Colt copies that I shoot more often I deepen & widen the rear sight (notch in the hammer) with an emery wheel. I also replaced the cone w/ a blade on one that shot particularly well (Cylinder bore larger than barrel bore), but most I leave as is, especially the Colt 2nd & 3rd generations.

Back