• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky teardown project progress

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The barrel is coming along really well. I've learned that I absolutely must check on it every hour when it's in the little hot house I'm using.
I'm going to re-do the frizzen with the compound for frizzens from TOTW. But I am thinking about tearing down the whole lock and browning the lock plate, cock, friz spring and the frizzen itself. It pains me to do it because it has such a nice case hardening to it. If I don't, it will stand out like a sore thumb. Thoughts anyone?

Update:
Mounted the barrel. It only has one pin and the tang screw holding it together to the stock, guess its all that's needed. Found that with all the BLO I let soak into the wood, it swole up a bit. Had to drill out a few holes a little to get everything to fit. The barrel browning came out better than I hoped. I will have it all together tomorrow. I am experimenting with browning my CVA Plains Rifle's lock plate and hammer to see if doing it to the Kentucy is worth it. If not, all that will be left is re-hardening the frizzen. Pictures to follow.

05302023-1.jpg
05302023-6.jpg
05302023-2.jpg
05302023-3.jpg
05302023-7.jpg

The browning job looks much better than the pics would suggest. Do have a problem with the wood swelling a bit from the BLO. Having to drill out some screw holes a little to compensate and do some refitting of the lock, it's back plate and butt plate.

Completed the gun this evening, than goodness! I posted a thread elsewhere about this, I re-hardened the frizzen with Track's true spark. Cleaning the residue was a b#%@&. Some things I learned, I was wise to take all the time I needed and didn't rush through it. I will never use BLO like I did, ever again. I was advised to let as much of the stuff soak in as possible. I am happy with the way the stock turned out looks wise, the gunstock color stain really looks great, at least to me. But the amount of "swelling" that occurred caused me a few headaches. All of the wood screw holes had to be carefully opened up, otherwise the screws would bind up as though there was no hole at all. I had to do some inletting for the patch box, lock and lock screws plate. Next time it's going to be another form of oil finish. Even though I really like the way it came out, the excessive use of BLO added a whole evening time wise and the accompanying irritation. As the saying goes, your milage may vary.

Attachments

• 06022023-1.jpg
    06022023-1.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 06022023-2.jpg
    06022023-2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
I would take the lock off an neutralize the plate and cock then card the heck out of them with a piece of course denim to get rid of the loose rust.

A smooth surface looks better but you have to make sure the part has quit rusting.

squirrel rifle done 008.JPG

I would take the lock off an neutralize the plate and cock then card the heck out of them with a piece of course denim to get rid of the loose rust.

A smooth surface looks better but you have to make sure the part has quit rusting.

View attachment 225674
Love the look of your lock. The picture really doesn't show how it turned out. Must have been the lighting. I got the older, very minorly distressed look I was looking for. Wasn't looking to make it a beautiful work of art like you have in your picture. Did you build it from a kit?

Latest posts

Back