• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought 40 pounds of shot that got left out in the rain. How do I dry it out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bark-eater

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just picked up 3 partial bags of shot that had been in a bucket for a couple days with 2 inches of water in the bottom. Is there anything in particular I can do to prevent it all from oxidizing?
17092229268713487083850180575129.jpg

I wasn't sure about using wd40, because concerns that it might effect a powder charge, but once the Napta evaporated, not much is leftover. The shot bags where in a larger bin with other lead and a certain amount of water. The shot that I inspected is black, that might be a chemical reaction or maybe graphite? I'll have to look up "chilled shot". The bags themselves selves have a white salt on them that is shaking off. I assume that's lead nitrate. There's a bunch of buckets of different lead things. Including cast bullets with a copper gas check. I'm assuming they would be a safe bet for casting balls from.

Lead shot is usually tumbled in graphite before bagging. If you dry it and do the same for a short time, you won't hardly see the difference between that and new. Copper plated shot is a different story. Congrats on the find!

I went back this morning and the full bag a 7 1/2 was still there. I hemmed and hawed and its going to to get rained on again before I get back. Some one else got a huge sheet of 1/4 inch soft lead, and then someone told me that was the stuff to grab. But I'll keep checking back.

Latest posts

Back