• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Javelina with my Flintlock in Arizona Video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who has ever hunted very much with any weapon has had problems.

I don't want to get off topic but me and my big mouth just can't let this go. Sorry Redwing but with all due repect I totally disagree. I have been hunting since 74' and since 04' exclusively flintlocks. I never had any gun fail in a hunting situation. Probably due to extreme proparedness.

Anyway he asked for opinions and I gave mine, he can take it or leave it. But don't stop making them, you'll only get better. :thumbsup:

I don't have the right speakers for my computer so the music wasn't an issue for me at all and the text was helpful. Your footage of the hunt I thought was excellent and made me want to fly out to Arizona to hunt Javilena with my muzzleloader. I give you a lot of credit for taking the risk of doing something new like hunting with a flintlock and making a video of it. Most people in our society now wouldn't risk doing such a thing but stay at home on the couch instead. Keep at it I'm confident you will be successful and thanks a lot for sharing your video with us, I enjoyed it very much.

Don

Don said:
I don't have the right speakers for my computer so the music wasn't an issue for me at all and the text was helpful. Your footage of the hunt I thought was excellent and made me want to fly out to Arizona to hunt Javilena with my muzzleloader. I give you a lot of credit for taking the risk of doing something new like hunting with a flintlock and making a video of it. Most people in our society now wouldn't risk doing such a thing but stay at home on the couch instead. Keep at it I'm confident you will be successful and thanks a lot for sharing your video with us, I enjoyed it very much.

Don

Ok, how about a compromise, does the text have to be so big?

Swampy said:
Gotspark said:
I like rock myself as well but for some reason hunting and rock don't mix for me.Perhaps with this kind of hunt a little fiddle in the beginning and at the end with none in the middle? Lose most of the words on the screen and replace with softly spoken words.Nice camera work and I thought things flowed nicely.Of coarse who am I to give advise about making videos...

Just go out and hunt, make a video. You don't need no fiddle, no music at all and no text. :v
What? No fiddle!? Gotta have a Fiddle in the band. :v: :v

I never considered not having speakers and the text helping in that regards. My initial goal was to try and break up the narration and bring something different instead of just constant narration getting dull. After Swampy's comment about the text, I'd have to say I agree with him. The text does get in the way and take away from the picture, especially when it covers the animals. I did ask for honesty and Swampy stepped up. I do appreciate that instead of not giving me an honest opinion, saying he liked it, or nothing at all.

I have taken a lot of ideas and opinions out of this and think I can greatly improve it.

I did take a big chance with this flinter, after all I have only been shooting flinters for just a few months, and have had nothing but problems with this flinter since I recently aquired it. My first shot went off even though it didn't hit where I aimed. Why my 2nd and 3rd didn't I am still dumbfounded. I even flicked or twisted and snapped my wrist after the first missfire to bank powder against the t.h. to hopefully help. This has happened often enough with this gun but I am glad it did. Got more video this way and shows things can go wrong and that I was taking a chance using it. My Renegade flinter is fine and hits where I aim consistantly, but just didn't have the nostalgia and genuine feel this longrifle did. I did take my Javelina with my longbow the last two years and wanted something different this year. With the longrifle I didn't have to get near as close so it was easier in a sense, when I wasn't having problems. I am sure some of you remember my recent posts asking newbee dumb questions, but all the help allowed me to learn a ton and take my flinter on it's maiden voyage!

Thanks guys, I wasn't trying to start anything and wasn't sure if a hunt like this even belonged here or not. I know I'm not in all buckskin, and the music isn't for a lot of this crowd, and probably doesn't even belong in this hunt. After all the only thing that makes this a traditional type of hunt is the weapon. Unfortunately it's the most I feel comfortable with for now until I can grow, feel more confident, and get more animals under my belt.

the video was true to the experence it wasn't edited and that is good .

with a little work the next video will show the improvments learned from the experience and for all the work to over come the misfires .

that's life you only get out what you put in .

and you can only work with the knowledge you have at the moment .

i would be suprised to see another misfire in your next hunt video.

good show and keep up the good huntin'!

Gotspark said:
Swampy said:
Gotspark said:
I like rock myself as well but for some reason hunting and rock don't mix for me.Perhaps with this kind of hunt a little fiddle in the beginning and at the end with none in the middle? Lose most of the words on the screen and replace with softly spoken words.Nice camera work and I thought things flowed nicely.Of coarse who am I to give advise about making videos...

Just go out and hunt, make a video. You don't need no fiddle, no music at all and no text. :v

Truthfully, I can't stand going to a vender and there are a few, that start off with that old timey Fiddle music and usually end up fumbling around looking how to turn it off. If I want to hear it, it should be my choosing as it's usually way to loud.

You want to use a Fiddle in the back ground music, by all means do so but how about buying some nice buckskin or Elk hide and make yourself a hunting bag, shirt and pants. Maybe Moccasins or period boots. If your just going to use a flintlock in modern camo, a fiddle just does not do it for me, seems wrong in a way.

Whatever you decide, make sure the back ground music is not so loud, over powering. I've seen some nice videos of hunts where the music was soft and you had the choice of turning up the speakers if you wished. But far to many allow the music to become over powering, to the point of annoying. Again, just something to think about.

I enjoyed this short video. I like the choice of gun and liked the area where the hunt was made. I don't understand all the misfires but I'm glad it worked out in the end.

Also, stop commenting on whether your video of the hunt belongs here, you hunted and took game with a Traditional muzzleloader, thats what this forum is for. :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
Gotspark said:
Swampy said:
Gotspark said:
Ok, point taken. :surrender:

Truthfully, I can't stand going to a vender and there are a few, that start off with that old timey Fiddle music and usually end up fumbling around looking how to turn it off. If I want to hear it, it should be my choosing as it's usually way to loud.

You want to use a Fiddle in the back ground music, by all means do so but how about buying some nice buckskin or Elk hide and make yourself a hunting bag, shirt and pants. Maybe Moccasins or period boots. If your just going to use a flintlock in modern camo, a fiddle just does not do it for me, seems wrong in a way.

Whatever you decide, make sure the back ground music is not so loud, over powering. I've seen some nice videos of hunts where the music was soft and you had the choice of turning up the speakers if you wished. But far to many allow the music to become over powering, to the point of annoying. Again, just something to think about.

Nice hunt and video. I enjoyed it. I have a flinter that acts a little like yours. Know the feeling. :thumbsup: Dilly

What? No fiddle!? Gotta have a Fiddle in the band. :v: :v [/quote]

And don't forget the Cow Bell!!

Well done. I liked it. I am going next year.

P

My sugestion for a better video, in my opinion would be to leave the music out. I just turned the volume off . . . and then back on, in order to hear your voice, a pain to me, I'm sure I missed some audio.

The camo is not a big deal either way for me, Javelina's don't have real good eyesight anyways.

It looked like you were carrying a Glock Auto under your bag, I'd leave that at home, or let your camera man carry a back up gun . . . (I know Javalina's have sharp teeth, and if provoked can tear a guy up!) we all know in order to shoot video, that your gonna have some modern technology with you, let him carry your range finder too, if you are not good at estimating range, but that is also a good skill to practice on when out there.

Flintlock hunting videos are so rare I always enjoy watching one. Yours was especially good as it shows the challenge of hunting with a flinter.

I didn't notice the music like other folk as I was concentrating on the action.

Don't know if your rifle has a White Lightening vent liner in it but that would the first think I would put in a balky flintlock.

I have only built one rifle but with a WL liner mine goes off like a percussion gun until I get about a dozen shots through it then it may occasionally have a flash in the pan.

Well Swampy old pal, come ride with me. :thumbsup: If you can hunt on the High Plains and the big deserts and high Mtns of the west without a failure you are good. You never know these things until you walk in another mans boots. :wink:

redwing said:
Well Swampy old pal, come ride with me. :thumbsup: If you can hunt on the High Plains and the big deserts and high Mtns of the west without a failure you are good. You never know these things until you walk in another mans boots. :wink:

Wish I could ride with ya and walk in your boots.

Absolutely outstanding. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. While you may not be a Cecil B. DeMille in my opinion you did a great job. Lots of ways to improve and hope you don't give up making more because of all the picky remarks. Hope this gets others to video their flintlock hunts. Hope all these remarks don't intimidate and keep others from trying their hand at doing the same. So, the bar has been set. Let's see how others may try to improve. Perhaps some turkey hunts this spring. Thanks again.

Ye Archer said:
Absolutely outstanding. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. While you may not be a Cecil B. DeMille in my opinion you did a great job. Lots of ways to improve and hope you don't give up making more because of all the picky remarks. Hope this gets others to video their flintlock hunts. Hope all these remarks don't intimidate and keep others from trying their hand at doing the same. So, the bar has been set. Let's see how others may try to improve. Perhaps some turkey hunts this spring. Thanks again.

Picky remarks huh? He asked for honesty about the vids, you with 24 posts obviously do not know me because one thing you will get from me is the truth, like it or not. You could have told him what you thought of those vids without singling me out and using the remarks you did. But you made sure to do so. Sad part is, if you took the time to get to know me, you just might find we would get a long just fine. with a lot in common.

ballandcap,
For what it's worth, I couldn't have told you what kind of music was bein played. I was more interested in the hunt and your short conversations with the camera man. The scenery was great since I live in a heavily wooded area (which I love) and got to see what others get to hunt in.
I'm sure your next outdoor experience will be better but this one was FINE.
Thanks for the memories,
Dusty :wink:

Latest posts

Back